melanaruss and carpenter wrasse in the same system

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
So i’m thinking of adding a couple wrasses to my system anyone currently keeping a melanarus and carpenter(flasher) wrasse in the same system. looking for personal experiences.

Thanks!

I have several wrasses in a 180 gal reef system with 2-3 inches of live sand, including melanarus, clown coris, and leopard. And I added them at different times. I feed daily.
my understanding is that there may be problems if they have similar markings and coloring. Mine each look different.
Curious to hear other opinions.

I have a carpenter, a male black leopard, an ornate leopard, and a female standard leopard wrasse in a 75 gallon. I fed heavy and there is a little bickering between the black and standard leopards. The black rules the tank at about 5" (they are supposed to max out at 4"). It was really bad in the beginning and I put the standard in an acclimation to heal and the black got used to her. Now there is chasing but not aggression. The black went in first then the ornate (they are hard to tell sex), then the carpenter and then the standard leopard.

There was no other aggression expect for when the standard leopard was added. I the beginning I wanted to sell the black but I couldn't catch him. I would have had to remove all the rock work. Now everyone gets along. I work from home so I could monitor the situation adding food to the tank and chasing the black with a net to stem aggression. Hope this helps.

Corey - I keep melanarus along with various other flasher (mccosker, carpenter) and fairy wrasses (rhomboidalis, darwins, pintail, flame) in the same system. no aggression what so ever.

Corey - I keep melanarus along with various other flasher (mccosker, carpenter) and fairy wrasses (rhomboidalis, darwins, pintail, flame) in the same system. no aggression what so ever.
Thanks guess I am going to pull the trigger based on responses

I’ve had a few Halichoeres and they aren’t aggressive at all. They ignore other fish and other fish ignore them. I’ve had a few flashers and fairies with Halichoeres with no issues.

Melanarous here. He's a d.b. . He was kind, heard great things....ummmmmm. if he isn't fed throughout day he nips at stuff. Beautiful tho.

Back