Melanurus Wrasse?

TJ Reefer

Formerly Known as FishFail
BRS Member
Having trouble with our fish dying. it was suggested that it was the melanurus wrasse was the culprit. We have lost numerous clown fish, lavender tangs, and hipotangs. Thank you.

I don’t have experience with the wrasse you are talking about. But the ones I have had were not aggressive toward tank mates. Clowns are butt heads so I would be surprised if they were adult clowns that they were taken down by a wrasse.

Tangs if they are good sized are also tough. Do you have any damsels or angel fish? Those are the only things other than clowns that I think are more aggressive and would attack fish bigger than them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a melanarus wrasse and he/she is a model citizen. Are you sure the wrasse is killing the other fish or is there a problem with your water quality. How long has your tank been running?

I'll take it as fishes mentioned were added after the wrasse, could have become territorial which from personal experience is also uncommon. I know you might be settled on it being the wrasse but can it possibly be the water chemistry ?

Same, my melanarus bothers no one. Any signs of injury or illness (parasites, etc) on any of the deceased?

water is fine I have brought it to two different stores for testing comes out fine. Some fish were before others were after. If water chemistry was the issue, wouldn't the melanarus get sick?

water is fine I have brought it to two different stores for testing comes out fine. Some fish were before others were after. If water chemistry was the issue, wouldn't the melanarus get sick?
He would , he can either be healthier than the rest and not yet showing signs or a bit more prone than the rest. I dont quite trust pet stores testing my water but if it's all you have. Have you seen any ich,velvet, or any sort of disease on your fish. Maybe turn fins ,beat up elsewhere?

So the other fishes tail fins are chewed up. don't see any ich. have 2 skunk cleaners and cleaner wrasse so I hope that's sufficient to keep parasites at bay but I'm new and ignorant.

So the other fishes tail fins are chewed up. don't see any ich. have 2 skunk cleaners and cleaner wrasse so I hope that's sufficient to keep parasites at bay but I'm new and ignorant.
No given fish will kill parasites, their a temporary remedy is all. I am almost certain that it has to do with water chemistry. And that the fishes being chewed might've happened after the fact. Once a fish dies all inhabitants see that as a meal

Also now that you mention being new to the hobby may I ask what process you are using to introduce the new fish ?

How old is the tank? Tangs can be iffy if you get larger/medium ones. And even the smaller ones tend to be prone to sickness/death due to stress.

What size is the tank? That will have a major role on territorial instincts of the inhabitants as well. I just can’t see a wrasse taking down decent sized clowns... trying to wrap my head around it!

so I got the tank used in August put in live rock in September. Cycled it from mid September till early November. got fish fist week of November.

Can you post a photo of your melanurus wrasse? Just to make sure it is what it is.

I will try to post a pic. I should also mention and this might be a big one. He has a partner. he is paired with a female. also 75 gallon.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back