Meshmod on a ASM g3 Protein Skimmer

asm g3

yes,you pretty much have to in order for it to pull anything.
definately do it,you won't regret it

easy to do to. there is a video if you go on reefcentral into the asm owners club thread. shows you how to do it from start to finish. basically cutting off the pins, drill 8 holes in pairs through the disk, about 3 layers of mesh if flatback type, then zip tie it down or fishing line works too. does improve the performance tremendously although I was happy with my g4 before the mod as well.

It should also be replaced about every 6 months or so. If your sedra gets a bit louder it means that its time to trim the mesh back a bit. The same if it doesnt start back up after an outage.

The mod will definitely boost performance. Make sure you trim the mesh so that it does not get caught between the wheel and the cowling. Just attach the mesh and look at the wheel with the top of the wheel and the mesh pointing away from you. Trim the mesh until you can't see it anymore.

If you want a little less, you can also get some from www.meshmod.com, I believe is the site. It's like $6 shipped for enough to do it about 4 times or so. Yes, they send you the ties that you already have a thousand of, but you don't have to get 100 times more mesh than you could ever use. I believe they take paypal and such and are right in NH so quick delivery too.

BTW, those guys really are ugly! Isn't one of them named Dave? Really knowledgeable and a great video though! At least you don't bash the skimmer saying it sucks unless you mod it.....come on they have sold thousands of this skimmer series how bad can they be? Maybe not a BBKing or a Reeflo but a lot less cash too!

Last edited:
IMO the flatback type is a little easier to sandwich layers of than the non-flatback type, but they both work well. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them on a G1 or any other G series.

Back