Euroreef Meshmod

alpha0r

Non-member
I did the meshmod on my Euroreef 5-3 yesterday. It was pretty easy although I had to do a lot of trimming to get the pump to start reliably. After I fired it up I was a bit skeptical. I have heard many people talk about how much smaller the bubbles look in the skimmer but I didn't see much difference. I had to raise the water level a good bit so I guess that means it's pulling more air although I would like to use a CFM meter to really find out. I also noticed that the water level in the skimmer would change which seemed odd. But I thought I would let it run for a few days to see what happens.

I looked at it a bit ago and I was really surprised. I have about twice as much skimmate with about the same color maybe even a bit darker. I knew it should be better but twice as much? I'm really getting a lot for a 29g. I guess the proof is in the pudding. So my first impression is that it is definitely worth it.

I will try to get some pics after my camera battery charges.

That's great.....Good job

I have been putting off doing this to mine for so long now....
Maybe I should just do it already. I am worried about ruining a perfectly good needle wheel.

That's great.....Good job

I have been putting off doing this to mine for so long now....
Maybe I should just do it already. I am worried about ruining a perfectly good needle wheel.

you wont ruin it..no worries. ive meshmodded my rs80 twice (good idea to replace mesh every 6 months or so) once with enkamat and once with fishing line. both ways work well.

Here are some pics.

Skimmate after 24hr. Not too bad for a 29g! I didn't feed yesterday either.
skimmer1.jpg

Here is the neck so you can get an idea of bubble size.
skimmer2.jpg

Full body shot. Mighty frothy.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/alpha0r/skimmer3.jpg

Back