MH compared to HPS (High Pressure Sodium)

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
I'm wondering if there is a significant difference in these 2? Or can HPS even be used? These are the same lights that are used in street lights and are used around ocean areas. I am interested due to the fact that I have access to 250W and 400W HPS bulbs and accessories.

Michael

You cannot get HPS bulbs in the spectrum required to sustain corals. Well, they may be able to sustain them, but the color of the bulb won't be very pleasing to the eyes and it will promote algae growth.

Good point about the spectrum. I think HPS bulbs are in the 4k to 6k kelvin range. No good for Corals.

It does stimulate the question - would HPS bulbs have a good spectrum and sufficient intensity for a fuge??

Good point about the spectrum. I think HPS bulbs are in the 4k to 6k kelvin range. No good for Corals.

It does stimulate the question - would HPS bulbs have a good spectrum and sufficient intensity for a fuge??

Well, noon at the reef is supposed to be 5800K, right?
Iwasaki bulbs are 6500K, and are HPS, if I'm not mistaken.
Check out Sanjay's and Joe Burger's data. One gets a lot or PAR from Iwasakis. People have reported a ton of coral growth using Iwasakis.

Ahhh, forget that. On second though, I belive Iwasakis are mercury vapor, not HPS.
Sodium burns really yellow.

I wonder if the ballast would fire a Metal Halide......

I mean if this guy has access to these fixtures and the could be converted to MH by just wiring up a mogul base......it could be a dirt cheap, high quality light solution.

Oh, by the way, If they can be re-wired for MH don't forget who suggested it, ole buddy ole pal.... heh heh...;)

They are different ballasts with different specs. There is such thing as a 430W HPS ballast that basically matches the specs for a 400W HQI ballast, but otherwise the numbers won't line up. Also the HPS ballasts have ignitors so in that respect they are more similar to HQI or pulse start MH ballasts than standard MH - but I wouldn't take that to mean that they are compatible.

I wouldn't be surprised if a HPS ballast would fire a MH bulb, but I don't think it would be a good idea at all. At the very least the bulb would be running at specs that it's not designed for leading to decreased bulb life and or a different spectrum than intended. At the worst potential fire?

You could look up the numbers on the ballast and cross reference, but I'm betting it would be a waste of time. There's a link for DIY lighting on sanjay's page that lists the part numbers on various MH ballasts if you want to try to find a match, but again, probably a waste of time.

"Oh, by the way, If they can be re-wired for MH don't forget who suggested it"
I guess you could remove the ignitor, but otherwise there's nothing you can rewire. The mogul base is the same for either kind of lamp, but the ballast assembly is 3 sealed components so there's nothing to rewire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh too bad.....

If only he had access to the ballasts that run both.

They do exist......I think they are only sold to the"veggie" growers if you know what I mean (nudge nudge wink wink) and not used for street lighting.

HPS has very narrow wavelength. (looks pink) Great for energy savings. Only Low Pressure Sodium is better (energy-wise) but it has an even narrower bandwidth (The sodium spectrum and nothing else). LPS is used just for securty lighting and HPS for street lighting. If wasn't so bad for spectrum coverage it would be used everywhere because of the energy savings.

HPS has very narrow wavelength. (looks pink) Great for energy savings. Only Low Pressure Sodium is better (energy-wise) but it has an even narrower bandwidth (The sodium spectrum and nothing else). LPS is used just for securty lighting and HPS for street lighting. If wasn't so bad for spectrum coverage it would be used everywhere because of the energy savings.

It is so efficient BECAUSE of the narrow spectrum coverage. In an energy sense, yellow light is cheap. Blue light is expensive.

Back