MH Lighting Woes ~Confused~

blajoie

Rookie
Hey everyone,

Well I've been reading up on MH for sometime now, and it seems that everytime I find "the perfect set-up" I read another post bashing it, and praising another. Seems as if there is no right or wrong answer.

I have a 45Gal Breeder Tank
36"L X 24"H X 12"W

And have been looking at either

250w Electronic Retro Kit SE ~ $200.00

or

250w HQI Electronic Retro Kit w/Bulb DE ~ $240.00

Looking to go with some sort of a 14K bulb as I do not want to suplement with Actinic Lighting, but still want enough PAR to get some good growth.\
Been reading up on Hamilton 14K bulbs both DE and SE(Leaning toward the HQI DE Pendent)

Questions:
* Does anyone else have a 36"L X 24"H tank? does a 250W penetrate deep enough and does 1 cover enough of the area? Or is it going to be two pendants?

Last edited:
one 250e DE will be sufficient for 2'x 2'x2' tank. On your tank, it'll be enough to penetrate the dept but you'll have some dark spot on the side.
I'll go with the 250DE as well and the aquaconnect 14k bulb. I heard nothing but good stuff about them.

I use the mongal bulb but would suggest that you go with the DE apart from comming with the bulb that will save you money the DE is 250w gives the same light as 400w mongal . $240 is a better deal

Back