MINI CRASH?

JACK-NASTY

Non-member
I think I need some support...I had the temp in my tank go up in my tank due to our recent weather. Caused my tank to have crash I think. I lost a few sps colonies-totally bleached out, an urchin and a couple of snails also died. My lps are alive but still look pissed off. I did a large water change about a week ago, added a fan, temp now steady, thought things would improve but my lps and remaining sps are alive but still look like sh**. All params have been tested and are steady like always. Still no polyp extension. Prior to the heat wave, I did add a new Chaeto and after my previous water change I added some Pristine like I always do. Did the temp + new nutrient removal cause this? Another large water change? What else can I do to bring it back from the depths of death? Tank was looking great prior, so frustrating! I guess new frag shopping spree should bring down my blood pressure...Thanks in advance.

Yeah. I think the temp rise is not the issue. It’s the delta temp over time.
without knowing your parameters, it’s hard to tell if the temp change was the cause. IME, tank with very low nutrients and alK greater than 10dkh is very susceptible to corals damage when something change.

temp went from 78 to 81, saw the sps bleached out, immediately added fan, and 20% change. Prior to water change alk was at 8, all other params were normal. Added chaeto about 3 days before temp increase, could the the pristine plus chaeto dropped nutrients so low that it would cause the crash? After larger water change, I fed fish some cubes and gave corals some roids hoping it would help a lil.

I don’t think the temp is an issue. If your tank can’t handle a 3 degrees swing each way, you have bigger problem at hand to fix.

My tank goes from normal 78* to 82.8(if i forget to put the AC on) I get the swing because I still use MHs. This is common for me in the hotter months. Thankfully room AC works for my setup. And if things get too hot Lights go off and fan kicks on. I have not seen any negative effects in my tank for what it's worth. Good luck and hope that you can get things straight.

I was away on vacation last week and my NEST went on ECO mode (84 deg) by mistake.
Tank was at 85 when i got home; it was possibly higher while i was away.
No losses or die backs n the tank from the heat that I have seen.

If your sps look bleached out put them on a frag rack low in the tank. I had a frogskin acro go completely white. I thought for sure it was a gonner. I plopped it in the sand and left it there for a couple weeks and its green and growing now, about one month later.

I can’t comment if the temp swing is what did it. My tank has only gotten 1.2 degrees warmer with no ill effects. Corals actually looked better so my new temp is 80deg. Used to be 79.

My gut is telling me the added bacteria plus chaeto possibly stripped nutrients and they starved out? I thought maybe ammonia due to dead snails and urchin but nothing on test results prior to bigger water change. No clue, just going to do another water change maybe continue to dirty up a bit. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again!

What kind of lights do you use, and how long have the corals been in the tank under those lights? LED’s set too strong can hurt corals quickly. Just wondering if that is it, but your snail and urchin die off is curious as well.

Back