Mixing saltwater

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
I have a 55gl brut…..does anyone have this and what are you using to mix the salt with?

I font have this but do have a mixing stations. I use a mag drive 9 for mixing, but more than likely any powerhead should suffice, just mix for however your salt manufacturer says. I use Brightwell and they recommend a minimum of 24 hours to help pH.

Thx , I was thinking about picking up a mag9. I just want a good mix but didn’t want to go overboard with getting a pump…

I have 3 Brute 44 Gallon barrels for producing RODI water and mixing with salt. I use a cheapo Marineland powerhead and a large bubbler stone/disc. Something cool I discovered with this setup is running the bubbler when the barrel is full produces a protein skimmer like effect that deposits any of the gray stuff on the lid. I use and love Instant Ocean salt, but there are times when batches seem to have varying amounts of it. Once mixed I drop a 500GPH pump in barrel and pump it through a whole house filter on it's way to the tank. I've been using this method long enough to see less junk in the filter due its removal "Skimming" in the barrel. I've also got to say the Brute barrels are so easy to clean and move that I regret buying water vessels that are too big, heavy, or hard to wipe out through a small lid. It's an eyeopener to see the solids that can be caught with fresh mixed salt.

I have 3 Brute 44 Gallon barrels for producing RODI water and mixing with salt. I use a cheapo Marineland powerhead and a large bubbler stone/disc. Something cool I discovered with this setup is running the bubbler when the barrel is full produces a protein skimmer like effect that deposits any of the gray stuff on the lid. I use and love Instant Ocean salt, but there are times when batches seem to have varying amounts of it. Once mixed I drop a 500GPH pump in barrel and pump it through a whole house filter on it's way to the tank. I've been using this method long enough to see less junk in the filter due its removal "Skimming" in the barrel. I've also got to say the Brute barrels are so easy to clean and move that I regret buying water vessels that are too big, heavy, or hard to wipe out through a small lid. It's an eyeopener to see the solids that can be caught with fresh mixed salt.
That’s awesome info on the skimmer thing…..I ended up just getting a mag 9. But I’m gonna try using the bubbler

I hope you get the same results. I fill to within 4" of the top rim and leave the lid on upside down (it just seems to fit better with heater cords and so on). I didn't fully notice the effect until allowing the droplets on the underside of the lid to dry..... you can see the gray residue and collect it with a towel on the dry lid. I'd recommend using the air stone with your mag 9 and certainly don't think its a stand alone for mixing, just an additional help. If you have any old RO vessels, try filtering your fresh mixed salt water....I bet you'll be surprised how much crap you can pull out of it before putting it in the tank.

I hope you get the same results. I fill to within 4" of the top rim and leave the lid on upside down (it just seems to fit better with heater cords and so on). I didn't fully notice the effect until allowing the droplets on the underside of the lid to dry..... you can see the gray residue and collect it with a towel on the dry lid. I'd recommend using the air stone with your mag 9 and certainly don't think its a stand alone for mixing, just an additional help. If you have any old RO vessels, try filtering your fresh mixed salt water....I bet you'll be surprised how much crap you can pull out of it before putting it in the tank.
I’ll let ya know, I don’t have any old RO vessels but we’ll see how goes. Thx for the info..

Back