Modifying a 300W to a 500W, Ballast Change

Leroy

Pres. NE Matchcover Club
I have a 300W MH Aqualine Buschke and I like the profile of the light, 48"x 4.75"x4" because it allows me the room to use T5's over my 90 gal tank. There's 2, 150W HQI DE bulbs being used now but what I'd like to do is convert it over to a 500W by re-wiring the system with 2, 250W HQI external fan cooled ballasts. In someones opinion would there be any problems making the conversion electrically? Mechanically I have that under control for any modifications.

The process will be documented for a DIY in the near future.

Wanted to get a
Bump.jpg
for any opinions.

I don't see a problem as long as you have the space to fit the 250 ballasts.

Also keep in mind that you probably want to use HQI ballasts, and that the250 DE lamps use different sockets than the 150W lamps.

Thanx for the input. The ballasts location will work out fine with a place to locate them. The ballasts will definitely be HQI. I was not aware that the sockets between a 150W HQI were different than a 250W HQI. If that is the case I should look into a 250W SE retro and build an enclosure to support 2 MH bulbs to get the 500W I need.

You can get the DE socket sets for about $20 or less. There isn't a heck of a lot of a size difference and I'm pretty sure that a lot of 150W fixtures will fit the 250 sockets, but I can't gaurentee it. IIRC AG had some on the shelf last time I stopped in if you wanted to take a look in person.

jk

Ok, hadn't priced out sockets yet. Don't plan on buying anything from AG nor stepping foot in the store, personal reasons. There's another LFS that I get better business with. I have a few months to plan out a new lighting system so the parts could be ordered. I just needed to know what I was in for. Maybe I'll find a complete system here or CL.

i believe the 150 watt bulb is considerably smaller than the 250 so you may find the area that accomodates the 150 bulb in the reflector may not be large enough for the 250

With good info from two seasoned hobbyists on socket size connection between a 150W and a 250W I can now plan my method of assembly to upgrade the MH system and keep my existing T5 Geissman lighting.

maybe someone with 250 de's would be good enough to post the overall length of the socket for you so you have something to work with

Good Idea Liam. A 250 DE lamp is 6 3/8" long.

Without taking a fixture apart, the socket assemble looks like it's about 7" long total. The ends are different from the 150 lamp though. On the 150 the bulb has sort of cone shaped pins one either end that push against spring loaded sockets. On the 250's the ends are flat contacts that sits in spring clips that hold then from the front and back. I'll attach a pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back