Modifying Tank Trim

mattn007

Non-member
I have a new 90 gallon tank to fit a custom built oak stand I have. The stand was built for an AGA tank, my new tank is a Perfecto. There is a slight difference in the size of the trim. The new tank's bottom trim comes up 1/4 - 1/2 inch too high to fit under a lip in the stand. I would rather not modify the stand.

I am looking for suggestions on how to shave 1/4 - 1/2 inch off the plastic trim without damaging the tank/glass.

Thanks in advance,
-Matt

I'm actually going through the same thing with a 20 Gal tank (mismeasurement in my case). I was thinking of using a dremel with a cut off blade to nip off an 1/8" of the trim on mine. I just need to engineer the straight edge so I don't touch the tank.

If you're brave you could use a router with a straight cutting bit, and a straight edge to do this. It'd probably give a much cleaner finish than a cut-off wheel, and be easier to control, in my opinion.

utility knife heated up (blowtorch works nice ;) it would be slow, but very effective.

Yep that will work best of all (if you have a rebate plane, which I suppose is unlikely). Just set the iron a smidge off the glass-side of the plane, and keep a piece of construction paper or something between the glass and the plane, so the body of the plane doesn't scratch the glass.

I don't think a bench or block plane will work for this because your trim is probably too close to the glass. (a rebate plane has an iron that is the full width of the plane)

Or I was thinking of sliding a piece of thin sheet metal between the trim and the glass and using a small rotary cutting blade on the dremel. The sheet metal would be to prevent teh blade from contacting the glass. I assume the blade would dull quickly from hitting the metal but it might work.

Is that some sort of guide that runs parallel to the blade? If so I think I will end up barrowing Dave's dremel tool, that is contingent on him lowering his $7/hour rental fee, I find that to be a little too high.

I imagine he's refering to a router base attachment, which allows up and down adjustment (depth of cut). You can use that and a straight-edge to trim the plastic in a couple passes. Just check the depth now and then to be sure the bit isn't slipping lower or the base isn't getting lower (I've had both of those happen with a dremel).

The problem isn't that the trim is exposed. The way the stand was designed, it has a lip that fits over the top edge of the trim. The tank slides into the stand from one short end and is viewable from both long sides and one short.

I could cut the lip off but I prefer to modify the tank instead of the stand.

Back