Montipora Cap. problem...help!

Crap!

I have them. Now how do I get rid of them? I don't see them on any other corals. Should I through this coral out and hope for the best?

Attachments

• DSC00619 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSC00619 (600 x 450).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 814
Hey Steve

There is a couple of good threads on RC about these little "buggers", that is where I got the pic from....just do a search for Montipora nudibranchs and you will find them. I had a purple cap frag about six months ago that came in with them on it...unfortunately I lost the frag before realizing what was going on. Basically from what I have read a fresh water dip is very effective in ridding the coral of the nudis. If your coral is a frag the dip shouldn't be a big deal to do...after you dip, you may want to dip again in 7 to 10 days to take care of any hatched eggs? Justy a word of caution....the corals can't tolerate the FW dip very well either so don't over do it. HTH

Craig

Steve,

Unfortunately monti nudribranchs are bad. From what I have read you will need to physically remove the nudis and search and remove egg sacks as well.

Here is a thread from people with first hand experience.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=557384&highlight=nudibranch

In the meantime , you may want to do is ascertain where you picked up the nudis and also warn anyone you may have traded with since.

HTH,

Joe

Also meant to say...these guys only seem to like Monti's....both caps and digi's. Without Monti's in your system, the nudis will die out. I am not saying to throw all Montis out...just keep a close watch out for the bugs and dip if you spot them. It doesn't appear you have to worry about your other corals.

Alright. I didn't get any answers quick enough because it's late, so this is what I did. I decided to pull the moti cap and tweez off all the nudis I could find. I stopped at about 25 and decided to break off all the infested areas which left me with a piece left that was about 3/4" x 2" (Hopefully it grows back) :( . I decided to do this, because I also pulled out my orange cap and small digita and there was no sign on them. I have a feeling this green cap came with them on it and hope they didn't spread anywhere else. So, in short, I totally butcherd my green cap, and hope it grows back...

scavdog said:
Steve,

Unfortunately monti nudribranchs are bad. From what I have read you will need to physically remove the nudis and search and remove egg sacks as well.

Here is a thread from people with first hand experience.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=557384&highlight=nudibranch

In the meantime , you may want to do is ascertain where you picked up the nudis and also warn anyone you may have traded with since.

HTH,

Joe
I got that frag from "Rick and Sandy" when they broke down their tank. They had others they sold. I wonder if anyone elses is affected, or if the nudis came from somewhere else.

Steve,

If you lose it, I have you covered. No sweat. Just make sure they are gone :).

btw, Nice catch Craig ;) . Nice to see you at the auction the other day. :D

Thanks Scav, and thanks Craig I would have never seen them if you didn't clue me in. Scav, on a happier note, the green slimer I got at the auction that came from your tank is looking great.

Craig, that was a great call.
Big-Thumbs-Up.gif

Proving once again that it's soooo much eaiser to diagnose a problem if one posts a picture.

Thanks guys...glad to be able to help out!
Joe ...nice to catch up with all you guys too! Sorry to have missed you Moe...

I wonder if anyone elses is affected, or if the nudis came from somewhere else.

Text book example of why quarantine tanks are good practice.

:)

scavdog said:
Text book example of why quarantine tanks are good practice.

:)
I know...But id you saw how small my condo is, you'd see I really don't have room for one. I've used an wxtra 15 gal to QT rock from TBS in the past and it was nice to get it out of the room. My place really is very small.

YET ANOTHER good example of why I rub elbows with the BRS folk... No need to bother Dr. Ron when you have Craig, Joe, Moe etc....

Awesome post, catch, and action plan! I've already printed the thread and filed it in my three ring "geek binder" under "Monti Info".

Good luck Steve!

D

One other thing to remember, ALL nudibranches release toxins when they die. Most of the toxins will effect your tank if the nudis die off or are killed in the tank. I read one story about a guy with an office nano that was infested with nudis that were reproduceing quickly in his tank. He began "popping" the nudis between his finger and the tank glass. Long story, short, he ended up in the hospital with respitory problems...after he passed out in the office and nobody had a clue why. When he came to in the ER, he told the Docs what he had done and they were able to look up a solution.
So I guess all I'm saying is, pull them out of the tank and just drop them into fresh water.... they're not zits, so don't pop them :) And try not to kill them while in your tank.

Good reason for starting a siphon with a pump eh? I agree with Darren. Don't play with the slugs! Stick to snorting zoas if you really like a buzz ;)

Oh ya....a qt tank doesn't need to be large. I used a "critter cage" from petco with an air stone. I just put the critter cage in the tank to get light and keep the temp stable and hook an airstone to a pump to get some water flow in the mini qt...a speciman container would work even better, I had a hard time clipping the critter cage to the tank.

Man....those little critters are scary! :eek: At least it they die easily from a quick freshwater dip it sounds like. You might also try a dip in saltwater with a bunch of Lugols (maybe 10 drops/liter), it might be less stress on the coral, though I don't know if it will work. Did the folks on RC try this?

Back