Moving sand bed???

Ray

frrrrunkis
BRS Member
Ok the time is getting closer and I will be transfering my 75G over to a 120G 60x18x26
Now my question is what is the best way to move the sand bed over? It is not a deep bed maybe 2 inches and it also has some CC mixed in with the southdown. Also should I let it run a bit before adding the corals and fish back in? The longest I can hold out is a day. I can not cycle the tank then move everything because the 75 has to be taken down so I can move the china cabinet there becausethe 120 is going where the china cabinet is.

thanks

As I undersand it ray, you will want to be very very careful in moving the sandbed. there will be a ammonia spike due to the changing of the layers of the sand bed. even in a shallow bed. Dr shimek usually advises that you replace the bottom of the bed with new sand and then add some of the top 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the top of the old and discard the rest.

Ona side note when are you going to AA next? I'm thinking of going over next Saturday(25th) and was wondering if we could meet up so I could pick up the xenia and a couple of the water jugs.

Personaly I don't mess around with sand beds, or setting time lines. It is always best to let your new tank set the time line and only move when it's ready.
It sounds like maybe a third tank is in order? Have you considered that? for maybe a week or so?

I wish I could setup another tank but the only thing I can do is swap 1 tank for the other and I have to do it in 1 weekend :(

Not sure when I will be up AA next but maybe I could make it on the 25th

Back