Muriatic Acid for Dry Rock

So it's been close to three weeks of soaking the rock in bleach. The rocks, for the most part, are as white as my a**. :D Actually, it's not that white. The rock that is. :D The weird thing is that there's pinkish colored stuff on some of the rock. Could it be algae? I've got about sixty gallons of water and five gallons of bleach in there, covered from any light. Should I add more bleach to see if it kills the pink stuff?

You could come to Key Largo with me next week and see how it's done :p
But then you'd have to sign a nondisclosure in blood and put up both forefingers as collateral.
Or...
You could just tank it and quit messing around :D

You could come to Key Largo with me next week and see how it's done :p
But then you'd have to sign a nondisclosure in blood and put up both forefingers as collateral.
Or...
You could just tank it and quit messing around :D

I'm tired of the Keys. I was just threre a few days ago. ;) Besides, I ain't got no tank yet. :D Last week, the euro was being added. So soon... I hope.

>there's pinkish colored stuff on some of the rock. <

Most likely foraminifera. Do they look kind of 'spikey'? Bleaching them more will not likely remove their pink color.

BTW, the bleach water dissolved the white props of the Koralias I was using to circulate the water. One has a nub left while the other one is completely dissolved. :rolleyes:

I hope Hydor covers that. ;)

Bleach should not have a significant effect on plastics unless used at very high concentrations for long periods of time. Certain it should not 'dissolve' plastics. More likely to oxidize them and make them brittle.

Bleach should not have a significant effect on plastics unless used at very high concentrations for long periods of time. Certain it should not 'dissolve' plastics. More likely to oxidize them and make them brittle.

I didn't mean literally dissolve the plastic, but they became brittle and snapped off from the pressure. I found the pieces sitting in the muck.

I called Hydor USA and they said they'd get me a few replacement impellers free of charge. Nice people...

Are you serious? You've got a place down there that I could've stopped by? I drove by Key Largo too. :mad:

Yes very serious.
If you drove down 1(overseas HWY) and you had to you passed about 100yards from your flat rock. :p

Oh wait I misread you "drove by Key Largo" so you were not on 1 but in a boat ? ::

as far as getting your rock ready.....
Put it in the damn tank already would ya? :p

Last edited:
Yes very serious.
If you drove down 1(overseas HWY) and you had to you passed about 100yards from your flat rock.

Oh wait I misread you "drove by Key Largo" so you were not on 1 but in a boat ? ::

as far as getting your rock ready.....
Put it in the damn tank already would ya? :p

I wish I had been in a flats boat. :( Nope, we drove down. Do you have any flat-esque pieces in stock?

No tank yet. LOL. I should be getting it next Friday. LOL. :eek:

Back