Where to get Muriatic acid within 10-15 miles of Boston?

reefsmurf

Non-member
Anybody know who carries Muriatic acid near Boston? None of the home depots have it from what I've read, and Lowes doesn't seem to carry them in the stores in this area as well.

I use it for cleaning masonry. Masonry supply store will carry muriatic acid.

What is it for?
It's good for cleaning calcium deposits off of tanks, pumps, etc. I think people also use it to increase the solubility of Kalk in top-off water.

It's a fairly concentrated acid though, so remember what your chemistry teacher taught ya - Do as ya oughta, add acid to watah!

Pouring water into a concentrated acid will create a lot of heat, and could cause the acid to instantly boil, and spray out of the container. If you pour the acid into the water, it dillutes a little at a time, and also the volume of water already in the container acts as a heat sink, to minimize the temp rise created by the heat of the reaction.

I'm using it for testing alkalinity.. but I'm not sure if the one I bought is the right one (31.5% concentration)

There is a small hardware store across the street from Skipton's. When I worked there that is where we got it all the time.

-B-

>I'm using it for testing alkalinity.. but I'm not sure if the one I bought is the right one (31.5% concentration)<

31.5% is exactly 10 Molar. Dilute to 1/100x for alkalinity testing (it's now 100 mM). 100 ml tank water....drop in pH probe. Add the diluted acid until the probe reads 4.2 pH. # ml of diluted acid added equals your alkalinity in meq/l. If you want increased accuracy (do you need to know past 2 decimal places? :D), just keep increaing the volume of water you use. This method of testing of course requires your pH probe to be reasonably accurate in the 4 pH range. You can get recalibration buffers that are 4.0 pH.

When you bring in samples for water testing at meetings this is how we do it. It is the definition of alkalinity.

Back