My 125 gallon Tank Progress

TBoisvert

Non-member
Hello Everyone!

My husband Bob and I are new members of BRS, and we have been working diligently to start our new project... our new 125 gallon RR tank. We have been working with Sea Creatures (John) to try to get everything right for this project, so we are almost there. So far we have purchased the tank, sump, pump, hamilton light fixture (3 x 250w MH and VHOs), TUNZE's 6100's are ordered (I can't wait to get those babies!!!), Reef devil protein skimmer (Thanks, Dale!!!), and a lot of the fixings that are needed.

My husband has been working on the stand for the last week. I thought I would show the progress. He is building it with 3/4" Oak plywood - and actually doubling up on it. It is coming out pretty cool. We are ordering the doors through a cabinet maker, so that we can get the raised panel doors for a pretty good price. Home Depot also allows for custom doors. You can pretty much get what you want (as if having refacing done). The pics that I am posting are two separate, because he is making it in two pieces and then will join them together.

Picture060.jpg
Picture063.jpg

The left side has been sealed, but not finished. he is currently working on the drawers. The left side will have one drawer, and the right side will have two drawers. He left plenty of space for the sump (approximately 40 inches across) and also left plenty of height. Obviously the trim hasn't been added to any of this... it is basically the shell of the stand. I think it's coming along. DAMN it's heavy... It will also have a solid top. What do you all think so far?

Tammie

Its looking good tammy. Keep up the good work. Take it slow and plan everything out so you guys minimize any mistakes. Hope to see you guys again at sea creature.
ps
did you guys take the lights?

I'm sorry, which one were you? First name? I cannot put names to these BRS names. Yes, we did take the lights. They were a great score!!! We also bought a sump from another BRS member Thursday nite. I just am awaiting the Tunze's. We are having a heck of alot of fun with this project.

Tammie :)

Thanks Jim, I will. I think one of the neatest things in planning this stand is that it is 40 inches high. I think that is a great height for viewing the tank. I could never understand why stands are made so short.

I dont think we were formaly introduced. I was helping John and Mike fire up your lights. Im almost always there so next time I see you too I will introduce myself.

TBoisvert said:
Thanks Jim, I will. I think one of the neatest things in planning this stand is that it is 40 inches high. I think that is a great height for viewing the tank. I could never understand why stands are made so short.

stability is the reason for those tanks with less of a foot print. the larger tanks just maintain the standard. the higher is less stable. always best to be able to lag onto the wall as well.

Really nice stand ;)
Another thing on the height to consider is you may need a small step ladder to reach in there :D
-Liam.

Great looking stand. I think making it out of ply is a much better idea than 4x4 or 2x4. (although those doubled sheets will add a LOT of weight) but you should only have to move that thing once, so sounds like a good trade off to me. :)

Keep us posted.

Nate

progress...

Okay, here is the progress on my stand...

stand2.jpg

Now, note, the top hasn't been screwed down yet and the two bottom pieces haven't been attached yet. Also, we are ordering the doors hopefully tomorrow. Drawers will be finished this week as well. My hubby did a great job!!!!

Tammie :D

Nice job !!!

Is the two piece design to allow for a "wet side" and a "dry side?" Neat idea...don't know if I've ever seen that done before. Looks awesome.

-Linda

Aquadiva said:
Nice job !!!

Is the two piece design to allow for a "wet side" and a "dry side?" Neat idea...don't know if I've ever seen that done before. Looks awesome.

-Linda

Actually, Linda, the top shelf on the left side will hold a five gallon rubbermaid container which will feed the sump... so there won't be a mishap with flooding. I had to move out of my house for two weeks last summer to have my wood floors refinished due to an automatic ice maker going postal on me and dumping 200 + gallons of water on my hardwoods, so I do not trust the auto feeds completely. The shelf was put there for gravity feeding the sump (which will be housed on the right side). He actually built it in two pieces like that so that there would be plenty of room for the sump for quick removal if necessary. He really thought out the design so that it would be sturdy and convenient. I just love it!

The drawers will hold all the test kits, dry goods, etc.

Tammie

Looks great! Drawers are a nice touch. Is the stand taller than most? How much height in the sump compartment under the drawers?

Nate

NateHanson said:
Looks great! Drawers are a nice touch. Is the stand taller than most? How much height in the sump compartment under the drawers?

Nate

The stand is 40 inches high... great height for the 125 gallon! The right side opening is 37 w x 25.25 h x 19.5 d.

Tam

Last edited:
Back