My BioCube is done finally however my shrimp breeding tank is showing mediocre at best results why?

SMI

Non-member
The 32 gallon live plant freshwater tank is done asian-inspired complete with rock garden Malaysian Driftwood tiger barbs you name it running like clockwork then I bought Junior BioCube 14 or 15 Gallons from a fellow member. I bought all new media for it heater etc...temperature seems to be right bought a sandstone cave (shrimp like caves evidently). Plants that don't require substrate however the shrimp thriving are ghost. I bought like 6 cherry shrimp three remain I think they're hard to find I read the cherry shrimp hardier than ghost? I'm vexed to say the least.
20171126_145849.jpg
20171126_150350.jpg
20171126_133419.jpg
20171125_113934.jpg

Yeah, personally i wouldn't keep shrimp with fish, especially tiger barbs.
Tiger barbs are little shitbags.

I had ghost shrimp breeding like crazy in a still water planted vase, but never long term luck in a filtrated system. They are also known to eat dwarf shrimp, so i wouldn't keep them with cherrys either.

How big do the Ghosts have to get before I release in the main tank, apox. size. I will put a cave and some Moss to aid them. My Barbs are BIG except for one of the "green tiger barb" (runt of the liter) but they are growing like weeds, should I name all my shrimp Bait #1, #2, #3 etc...

How big, i don't have any advice on that. In my opinion, all 3 Shouldn't be kept together in any mix up if your looking for success. I'd say pick one, and run with it.

If it were me, i'd foam/net over the intake drain cutouts on that cube, keep the cherrys, get more, let them settle in, populate, then try a couple amano shrimp or micro fish as a side.
Keep it bare bottom, maybe a cholla wood piece or 2, a moss pile, and attach anubias maybe to the back glass.

Some of the best shrimp breeding I've seen are little 5g tanks, sponge filter, and no water changes, just top offs. 100's of babies a month, and the opposite husbandry as well.
Keep it simple, and take it slow.

Back