My DIY 40 breeder external overlow

Yea cool whites...i actually bought a warm white to test before i dove in and bought everything...wasn't must of a difference honestly but the cool whites are definitely more white then the warm whites.

Yes, use the montview RTV103 or 108.

For that brace on the back, It would probably do a lot more to reinforce the top of the tank of insted of sandwiching the panes together flat, consider attaching the reinforcement perpindicular to the tank wall. It wouldn't have to stick out far, but using thick glass for it would be a good idea. (does that make sense?)

Basically, yes. T all the way across either inside, or on the back of the tank. Think of it as sort of a eurobrace, but just across the back.

Imagine trying to bend an I beam vs a flat bar.

very true. That would without a doubt be a lot stronger. The only concern i have is not being able to see clear through the tank ... seeing the "green" of the glass edges through the back.

anyone know where i can find clear PVC pipe locally? Not the flimsy kind, but like a regular clear pvc pipe. I found some online but i'd rather get it local if i can.

You might have to be a buisness for grainger to deal with you. The good news is this is easy, go online and create an account, I'm "John's aquaria and maintence"

On a side note, I now frequently get junk mail addressed to "john's aquaria and maintence" so you can be pretty confident that they will sell your contact info to advertisers :(

hahaha alright. thanks for the help everyone. I will be gone for a few weeks on vacation so progress will be TEMPORARILY halted, but i plan on knocking this out in a week or 2 when i come back.

some updates...
cut the original top trim in half so it lines up with the rest of the trim...basically put the trim back on...all i have to do now is epoxy/silicone it back on and fiberglass it to the existing trim and hopefully that'll give the glass back some of it's rigidity.

stand nearly completed...just needs the trim around the doors and handles.

Everything with the closer to completion DIY light...all i have to do is sand some edges and paint it bed liner black.

closer shot of the light

i'm about ready to start the outside overflow on the back...it's going to be full legnth on the back and i want to use clear PVC piping for the return...Does anyone have any input on how i should set it up? I was thinking maybe one return would be fine instead of having one on each side of the tank, and having the outlet into the sump right at the bottom middle of the outside overflow...does anyone think there is a need for 2 outlets/ and or returns? THe return pupe will be coming up through the overflow on the outside as well.

Just found your thread
Have you got your glass yet ??
I have some 3/8 plate kicking around you can have if you want to come pick it up
is so let me know what size pieces you need I'll check what I have I think its all about 10 inches or so wide X various lengths polished with a slight bevel on all edges

i did not...going to be full tank lenth which is 3 foot long and probably 6-7 wide? tank is 17 high but wouldn't need it quite that high...probably more like 15-16 high

alright i appreciate it...quick question...does anyone know if fiberglass would leach something into the water? Just got finished fiber glassing the back black trim piece back to the sides for strength and was wondering if it would leach anything...it's not in the tank but watter will be running over it a little going into the overflow.

so here's the finished stand!!

Found pictures of the stand when the person i got it from had it set up...so here's a before and after

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Light is completed as well...just waiting on the glass to be cut for the back and then i will order the clear PVC. Had to use a 15 gallon for a sump because the 29 and 20's wouldn't fit.

Last edited:
Back