My DIY 40 breeder external overlow

Just make sure you turn the closed loop on every day or so to flush the water though the pipes or the water will get stagnant and you don't want that water going into your tank when you turn it on after sitting.

I would also run the other holes in the back into the closed loop and run the return over the back. Also instead of using those screens n the closed loop try to find something to make it smaller. With the output being that small you wont be getting much flow out of them. That is the reason the pump isn't strong enough.

ya id take the screens right off the returns on the CL it not like the fish can swim in the retun. and it will make it look smaller

once i get a new pump figured out i intend on changing the plumbing around a bit and going with the returns over the top and those back ones as the closed loop. I was going to change it today but i'd be doing it 3 times counting when i change out pumps so i figured i'd hold off. I'll have to find some smaller exit holes for the closed loops

so a mag 9 for a closed loop=******** lol. I'm going to leave it set up but not turn it on because it's LOUD. Hopefully i'll get a new pump for christmas...going to try and get one of those ocean motion ones a few of you have recommended.

An Oceans motions is not a pump, just a drum that turns that has multiple outlets to create alternating water flow. Still need a pump to push water through it.

An Oceans motions is not a pump, just a drum that turns that has multiple outlets to create alternating water flow. Still need a pump to push water through it.

just realized this recently...i'm either going to rebuild the mag 9 or looking for a decent pump

some updated pics
b51lir.jpg

qqblv6.jpg

2eg5yt2.jpg

thanks. Getting a little bit of algae on the top rock since i took the fish out that eat it but hopefully it'll go away soon.

looking good.that frog is mighty close to 1 of the frag.might want to move it further away.they can reach out further and pack a mean sting.they tend not to play nice

Back