my girlfriend wants a Maxi Mini Carpet Anemone

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
my girlfriend wants a Maxi Mini Carpet Anemone so when we got home from the pet store i looked it up online. seems to need moderate lighting.

(i have not bought this coral, i want to find out more about it first)

her tank (well we call it hers) is a 10 gallon tank for lighting it has
* 4X10 watt Mr16 halogen
* Blue stunner LED
* 50/50 LED

Flow:
k.nano 425

has mushrooms and a hammer coral (one small head)

plymouth pet and aquarium in Plymouth NH

it was a small one, on a frag plate.

would i have the correct lighting?

These have reccently popped up in lots of LFSs. I've even seen a couple at a petco.

Skiptons had some nice ones the other day.

In my experience, trust me I've got 2 years of mini's under my belt, I wouldn't do it.

A LFS closed and when my main store bought them out, I went in the first day to get prime LR pieces. Unknowingly to me, several of the rocks had them.

At first they were cool, 3 being camo colored, and 2 being of the purple margarita variety. I spot fed them till they got about 2.5" and then fish started missing. A small jaw fish here, a blue green chromis there, then I caught one with a blue reef chromis stuck to it.

The blue reef was in perfect health and still living today after some intervention.

I decided enough was enough and attempted to remove them. I placed shells over them to trap them but they wouldnt budge so I tried to hang the rock out of the water over the tank so they would detach and drop in. Didn't work. In fact, the next day, 3 of them had split.

In the end, most of the rock was removed and cooked. I couldn't get rid of 2 of them and when I set up my new tank, those pieces went in.

You wouldn't believe it! One split in half and the other did a triple split.

All in all, they are a carpet anemone. They will eat everything they can get a hold of.

Only my 2 cents tho.

As far as I've heard maxi minis (5-6" or so)aren't as bad as mini minis(max size about 2-2.5"). they also don't naturally split often, while mini minis do.

I have mini minis and theyre incredibly sticky(they will stick to your fiingers) and with a potent sting. Anything that gets near them can potentially get stuck and probably killed even if the mini mini is well fed.

Generally speaking, in my experience they don't require as much light as say a BTA. I have mini minis under really old PC bulbs and they're still looking good.

Skiptons had a few of those (not sure if they were maxi mini or mini mini) on Sunday. One or two of them had really beautiful coloration. Their lighting over that tank didn't seem all that bright from what I can recall.

I have had, what I believe to be, a mini carpet anemone in my 14gal biocube for a few years. The anemone isn't pretty, but it has been growing over the years. It came on the rock as an invisible hitchhiker (rock colored and maybe a few cm in size) and now the thing is about 2 inches across (and 2 inches of ugly). My biocube is using the stock lighting and the anemone is quite happy with the stock lighting.

Last edited:
i dont think you have enough lighting, i wouldn't put any type of anemone under those mini halogens. Also the maxi mini have become notorious for eating fish when you least expect it. if you check a few other forums i'm sure people will chime in, the folks over at nanoreef seem obsessed with the maxi's at the moment i'm sure you can get great feedback from the people there that keep several.

arent the mini maxis those thin ones?? they seem harmless enough, unless I have my nems confused

Back