My JBJ 28gal HQI setup with an easy DIY LED hood conversion/supplementation

ReefKeeper1699

Non-member
I ordered super cheap LED strip aquarium lights from http://http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=281095688798 that can be cut every 3". Along with that I got connector cables, power adaptors and clear silicon. This is what is needed to get my conversion done.

First, here is a pic of my tank....

Picture of the materials used....

Everything being cut and linked together with the easy wire splice clips...

Plug in test to see it light up....

Cleaned the surface I was mounting the sticky side to with vinegar then stuck it where I wanted it....
Before...

Last edited:
After....

Let's light it up again....

Now I took the cover off and siliconed every connection and edge of the led board to completely seal it to make this last a looong time.....then let it dry

Now to put the cover back on and try out my new super bright LED actinics....

New Actinics with the 14k Halide on at the same time....This picture doesn't do it justice.....

What brought this project on was the 4 tiny led actinics that came with this hood did nothing for me and did not make the corals pop like I wanted them too. In fact, at night the tank looked like almost no lights were on at all with just a slight glow. now I will have a nice transition of darkness to actinics to all lights on etc.

These LED strips can be bought in 12k and 20k as well. Next project will be to add 12ks in per strip basis until a par meter reads what I want it to on the sand bed (120 or so par) Then I will ditch the expensive metal halide.

Stay tuned!!

Last edited:
How about heat dissipation? I notice those LEDs don't have heat sinks on them. How much power are you putting through them and do they heat up?

Still soon to notice coral growth change I will keep you all tuned in. The coral color is AMAZING with this!!!. No heat sink is needed as these are smaller LeDs at a smaller wattage. Just a lot of them in a row. Not much heat created at all. Love them. They made a huge difference in looks. I get a lot of compliments from my buddies that come by. I can do this for anyone if need be.

Back