My Recycled Glass Build: LPS Lagoon

Doherty

Non-member
This idea has been in by head for a little while now, and started working on this about 2 weeks ago. This build will be from made entirely from used glass, mainly from an old 28gal Hex tank.

Glass panels on the Hex tank are 24"x10"x1/4 thick. I also purchased a large piece of glass from a consignment shop for $10 for the bottom panel and had it to size for $8. And purchased some black silicone RTV103 on-line for about $9 for a 10oz. tube.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/338801/GE_Silicone_RTV103_Black_Silicone

If everything goes as planned this build will only cost me about $30.

The dimensions of the tank will be 24"x24"x10 high............
5,880 cubic inches............ = 25 gallons
4sq/ft for LPS growth and expansion

I received this tank free from another member on the BRS cstmpprl, thanks again Michelle, a few months ago. It was meant to be used for a seahorse tank, it was given to her by one of her family members who had previously resealed the tank. In the process they had broken the plastic bracing around the tank. I attempted to go on the process of finding a replacement bracing/trim which was an unsuccessful venture. And I did not want to take the chance of filling this with water and have the silicone seal fail and there would be no trim/bracing to hold the glass panes together....... water on the floor. Was going to throw the tank in the trash....... then had an idea!

I have never built a glass tank before...... but I have read many threads about it. So if anyone sees a flaw in what I am doing input/and hard criticism is welcome :)

So began the task.

Pictures to come:

Sounds cool, i've thought of something like this before too..

You sure 1/4" thickness is enough? Is the pane you bought for the bottom tempered? Will the top be braced?

Here is a little sketch of what it should look like when it is done to get the idea.

It will be rimless as well.

I don't believe it will need any bracing with the dimensions/glass thickness I have, but if anyone thinks I should add some euro-bracing let me know please.

Attachments

• LPS Lagoon.jpg
    LPS Lagoon.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,086
Pictures to come......what kind of fish poop that???????

I read that waiting to see some photos of something or anything then you tell me I have to wait:(

Sounds like a pretty cool project Matt!

Sounds cool, i've thought of something like this before too..

You sure 1/4" thickness is enough? Is the pane you bought for the bottom tempered? Will the top be braced?

My cube tank I have currently is rimless 1/4 glass no bracing....... and is 18in tall. I believe the thickness will be fine, But I'm not sure about the bracing with the 24" span. Was hoping someone will make some recommendations.

Pictures to come......what kind of fish poop that???????

I read that waiting to see some photos of something or anything then you tell me I have to wait:(

Sounds like a pretty cool project Matt!

Hold your horses Barry...... give me a min.

So here is the task of taking the old tank apart..... glass was in real good shape....... very few scratches. Just needed alot of cleaning.

Attachments

• IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,074
Lots...... And...... Lots of silicone.
Went through about 1 million razor blades, and 200 gallons of alcohol.:)

Attachments

• IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,074
After drilling the back panel, all taped up and ready for paint.

Attachments

• IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,074
Used Krylon Fusion spray paint...... Got at HD

I figured it would be easier to paint it first before constructing the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,062
Is the pane you bought for the bottom tempered? Will the top be braced?

Bottom pane was not tempered, had it cut this afternoon.

And unsure about if it will need bracing....... tank will be pretty shallow. But this is definitely not a completed project, I will add euro-bracing if it is recommended.

With the dimensions of the tank..... most of the water pressure will be directed on the bottom glass pane. As opposed to taller narrower tanks much more of the pressure is directed to walls/side panels of the tank requiring thicker side walls/bracing

This will be all the progress for at least a few days, I'm going to let the paint sit a few days before I start to construct the tank. Don't want to mess up the paint job :)

Remember criticisim is welcome :)

Very cool indeed, I like it the fact that you are recycling the glass for this project.

I have a number of glass and acrylinc tanks kicking around. Once my bowfront is up I may do something similar with one of them.

Matt, that is really cool!!!

Keep the pictures and updates coming. It's great to see you sharing you project!

Very cool indeed, I like it the fact that you are recycling the glass for this project.

I have a number of glass and acrylinc tanks kicking around. Once my bowfront is up I may do something similar with one of them.

Thanks Jen,...... Make sure you post up your build if you decide to do somthing similar.

Matt, that is really cool!!!

Keep the pictures and updates coming. It's great to see you sharing you project!

My buddy Kevin! How the heck are ya!

Yeah I will continue to post up pics of my progress, I just do everything very slow and maticulous...... This has been in the works for a few weeks, so If anyone was interested in the build and wanted to follow it, I figured it would drive people crazy at the super slow rate of updated posts. I took a very long time to remove all that silicone off the glass...... I looks like a brand new pieces of glass to be honest. All the PIA stuff will make the buold that much more satisfying if it all goes together as planned.

Going to purchase all the rest of the plumbing today. And just have to wait for the paint to completely dry..... where I feel comfortable enough to put the tape on it to hold the glass together after siliconing and not worry about the paint pealing off.

Just curious, why didn't you assemble the tank first than paint?

BTW... Nice project.

Jim

PS I'm not sure any time is safe to tape on paint over glass then try to peel it off.

Last edited:
Just curious, why didn't you assemble the tank first than paint?

BTW... Nice project.

Jim

PS I'm not sure any time is safe to tape on paint over glass then try to peel it off.

Yeah...... At the time I figured it would be an easier option....... Maybe not so much, now I have wait. I have seen a few tanks that have been painted with this paint....... It seems to have very good adhearent properties to glass. I will be using painters tape, not super adhesive, I think it be able to removed without much of any problem...... But we will see.

Back