My squirt died

nunofs

Non-member
Grrr... my OceansMotions Squirt apparently has died... I noticed that the closed-loop outputs weren't switching, tried turning it on and off a few times and it doesn't rotate at all... plus, it was extremely hot when I checked it last night.

This happened 2 days after I added a penductor to one of the outputs, I wonder if that could have something to do with it? (though I had another penductor I borrowed from Nate running before for a few days and it didn't cause any problems)

I'll contact OM, but wanted to see if anyone here had dealt with a similar issue before... can you open and clean a Squirt at all?

Nuno

I think you just open the top with the allen head, and you can remove the drum, clean the drum and the now empty squirt, and place back in. At least that's what I got out of the instructions.

I'll try cleaning it tonight, if I can get the courage to take apart the plumbing... it's times like these that have me wishing I had gone with Tunzes instead...

Nuno

I'm curious about Daragon's problem... Adam, if you see this and want to share, please do.

Nuno

I don't think you have to remove the whole squirt to clean it. The calcification or a grain of sand probably is just stuck between the wall of the squirt and the drum, and jammed it up. If the top is accessable you can use a magnet to grab the drum and pull it out, it's a tight squeeze in there.

I've taken mine apart before. There isn't much too it. Just the two allen head screws on top. The top should pop off and the drum should stick to and come out with the top.

Adam got a defective squirt.They sent him a new motor and all is fine.He does no how to take them apart and put them back together now.

Piscevore said:
It seems the most likely cause is grit....

That would make sense too in my case, as yesterday I scraped all the zoos from the main rockwork in my tank (to move them to separate rocks where they won't sting SPSs)... some of the rocks I removed from the tank to scrape, others I couldn't due to their size and placement... so maybe some rock dust got into the Squirt and caused it to get stuck... I need to check.

Thanks everyone, I'll update as soon as I clean it.

Nuno

I spent the last three hours disassembling the closed-loop plumbing, cleaning the Squirt and the pump, and putting it all back together :mad: I had to resist the temptation to leave it halfway done, go online and order a pair of Tunzes! :rolleyes:

It was indeed grit/sand/stuff that got into the drum of the Squirt, scratched it all around and eventually caused it to stop rotating... I cleaned it well, but it seems that it's only going to be a matter of time before it happens again... and with the very limited space I have between the back of the tank and the wall, it's going to be a major pain having to go through this every 6 months or so :(

But at least it's working now, if it holds for 6 months that gives me plenty of time to reassess the whole closed-loop situation...

Nuno

Btw, the reason for needing to take the whole plumbing apart was twofold: first, I coudln't just remove the top of the Squirt, or water would flow everywhere (even with a lot of ball valves in the plumbing) and I can't get any container behind the tank to catch that water; second, because even if I didn't have that issue with the water, the drum was completely stuck (because there were a couple of grains of "stuff" between the drum and the body of the Squirt) so I had to remove the tubing on the bottom to be able to push the drum up and out of the body... and removing the bottom tubing means having to take the whole thing apart because of the tight space :(

Nuno

Back