My tanks getting a complete tear down!

Good luck! I did this to my 210 a couple of years back with the help of Daire, Derek, and Ryan. I have course aragonite from older systems as I upgraded and knew it was a detritus trap. What a pita it was, but I'm glad I did it. I pretty much followed the same regime you plan on. Just remember to get all the livestock out before ytou disturb any rocks that are burried, aerate the buckets with the fish, keep the temp up in all the buckets, and you'll be fine.

>I was told the southdown would just make its way to the top eventually.<

Opposite is true. The more coarse material will always rise to the top over time.

If you can wait on this, I'd seriously consider doing this more slowly. Just removing small portions with water changes. IMO big changes like this are likely to result in unintended poor results, particularly if you have sensitive corals. If you have bullet-proof corals, then go for it.

Southdown is aragonite. Or at least it used to be before (5 years ago) they started cutting it more recently (2-3 years ago) with ground limestone (calcite). I think that calcite is more dense than aragonite, so that will not change things. The fine stuff will end up on the bottom. Of course, if your fish dig deeply into it, then it will always get stirred up if there is fine stuff in the tank.

Greg I agree with you but...
when I moved from the apartment to the house (that was when we force the anemone to split :( ), I dump 95% of the sand that I had in the tank (about 200 lbs) and basically start with new sand, using just about 1/2" of the old sand across the top .
I did lost one coral, and I lost it because I could not find it in the tank :D so I really Lost it :D

Just need to make sure the water stays really clean and no crap is stirred up. Might be a good time to run a really strong canister filter.

Thanks everybody.

I will be running my webcam during the whole time this morning if anybody want to check it out....see below for link.

still need to borrow a 55 gallon drum? Let us know, I have clean one sitting empty waiting for the arm.

Last edited:
>I was told the southdown would just make its way to the top eventually.<

Opposite is true. The more coarse material will always rise to the top over time.

If you can wait on this, I'd seriously consider doing this more slowly. Just removing small portions with water changes. IMO big changes like this are likely to result in unintended poor results, particularly if you have sensitive corals. If you have bullet-proof corals, then go for it.

ha in your face kevin :D ;) j/k
hows it going any trouble with the break down messing with these estblished tanks is scary.

It went AWESOME! I would like to give a big Thank you to Erik(reefer125g) for helping me out with this project, you are a aquascape genius and could not of done this without you.

The whole process went off without a hitch and only had one casualty(Peppermint shrimp) due to him getting caught in a powerhead I had in the fish holding bucket.

We completed the whole process in 4 hours :) the tank was clear by the 6-7th hour and it's looking incredible(see webcam ;) )

I am really glad I did this and will be much happier as the tank grows in.

I will get some pictures posted tomorrow

Any tips for doing it? I am getting my new sand next week and plan to try the swap in two weeks. Thanks, glad it went ok and it looks great! What sand did you go with?

Back