My Wet Neck Mod V1.0

lizzardking

Non-member
I am still a little vague on this mod but here is what i came up with.
please let me know if you are running this and how it is working out
also please let me know if i am over looking anything

I just got a euro-reef and realized how large the top of the collection tube is....just about the same size as my yogurt containers ;)

i cut the bottom off then slipped it over the tube. planning on sealing the bottom with silicone. i then trimmed the top of the container to about 1/8'' above top of tube.

i will introduce water via return pump and some small tubing.

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 457
  • top.JPG
    top.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 448
keeping the inner neck of the skimmer wet.
allows bubbles to travel up riser tube w/o resistence
also keeps skimmer cup cleaner longer

actually, much more efficient. The easier the bubbles can rise the better. In order of least to most slippery:

clean acrylic
skimmate covered acrylic
thin sheet of water (ala wet neck)

So you'll have water flowing into the yogurt cup and waterfalling back into the skimmer rise tube?

Basically water runs down the inside of the neck of the skimmer. THis makes it easy for bubbles to rise in the neck, and keeps the neck cleaner, which keeps the skimmer running well, longer.

The water basically lubricates the neck.

OK, couple of questions.
where the water will came from?
And I see in the 2nd pic that you have a RO tube in there, are you going to drill the cover of the the collection cup, or you are going to drill the side of the cup?

Thanks

tagging along....I've been very interested in trying this mod.

I think the concept sounds pretty good, but I am not sure how effective it will actually be. I am very interested to see some results. The skimmate that bubbles up and out of the neck would have to travel through yogurt cup making that water dirty sending it back down into the neck, or would the fact that you only have it 1/8th of an inch above the neck going to stop that? I just can see with my skimmer that unless there is a huge bioload (frozen feeding time) the collection cup fills very slowly.

I also have a ER skimmer and find that it si pretty darn effective as is, I would love to see if it can actually be more effective with this mod. Could you hook this up to your Top off line, or would you need a consistant flow of water?

heavydc, it needs to be consistent. Its just a sheet basically, the foam will travel right over it.

From what I've heard, when you have a wet neck running, you need to set your skimmer a good deal lower.

is this an issue on all euroreefs, seems my 8-1 the top of that tube is only about 1/2" from lid

sorry if i'm disrupting the thread but is there a mod to add a waste container? seems like it should be easy.

im glad that some ppl feel as i do

"I think the concept sounds pretty good, but I am not sure how effective it will actually be. I am very interested to see some results. The skimmate that bubbles up and out of the neck would have to travel through yogurt cup making that water dirty sending it back down into the neck" -heavy

but with all the posts about it and the fact that noone has given it a bum wrap i want to give it a try.

Scavdog that was the first picture i found of a wetneck. i did not like the idea of having a tube forced down my skimmers neck. i think (no real idea) that the tube might inhibit bubbles or pop them before they reach the top. this is the reason i am shooting for a waterfall effect. -lets do this mod!-

Heavy i am going to run a small tube off my return pump to slowly feed resivore.

Steev I was thinking about adding a waste cup collector so i would not have to shut down and break appart my skimmer......now that it should be clean as a whistle ;)

Can anyone attest to this mod?

lizzardking said:
Scavdog that was the first picture i found of a wetneck. i did not like the idea of having a tube forced down my skimmers neck. i think (no real idea) that the tube might inhibit bubbles or pop them before they reach the top. this is the reason i am shooting for a waterfall effect. -lets do this mod!-
Ever use a air driven skimmer it would be fine

well air driven skimmers use air stones and usually they have an air line running right throught the skimmers riser tube to the bottom of the skimmer. It doesn't have any real effect on the skimmers performance other than powering the airstone.

ahhh i did not know that they were straight down like that. i currently have a CPR hot and i did the airstone mod on it. i ran the tube thru the outlet of the skimmer -agenst the flow- into the reaction chamber. i thought running the tube that way would have impeaded performance.
i did take it out b/c i did not notice much of a difference w/o investing in a real air pump. so i took my money and invested in a euro-reef :)

has anyone had a bad experience with a wetneck?

Back