My Yellow Tang is getting attacked

Brewmaster

Non-member
I've had this fish for about a month and I think the Clown is attacking it.

The tail of the tang is missing several chunks and now there is a white stringy stuff on the tail and on the dorsal fin.

What should I do with it?

Thanks,
Jim

Can you move some rock around to make things "new" in the tank or catch them both and put the Tang back in 1st? What size tank?

The tank is a 72 Bow front.

I haven't seen the Clown attack it but I suspect the Clown because of the anemone it is hosting.

The only other livestock I have is an algae blenny, softies, zoos and clean up inverts.

I would mix things up in the tank a bit 1st, can you post a pic of how bad the injuries are?

Maybe you have a monster mean hidden crab. :)

I mixed up all the rocks yesterday and new injuries showed up today.

I'll take some pics and post them soon.

FYI, my 72 has 5 anemones, and a pair of mated clowns in it.

They surf from nem to nem.....but they do not bother my YT.

Also, as an FYI, I totally stripped out all of the LR in the tank, rescaped, then added the YT back in first.

Pics:

47b8da32b3127cceb7223ebbbd6900000016108CcuHLFw2aW

47b8da32b3127cceb7223eb03c5200000036108CcuHLFw2aW

47b8da32b3127cceb7222a483ca000000016108CcuHLFw2aW

You can see how close the Tang hangs out with the Clown.

what else is in there? have you seen aggression from the clown to the point of biting?

BTW, that nem looks pretty bleached.

what else is in there? have you seen aggression from the clown to the point of biting?

BTW, that nem looks pretty bleached.

Nothing else is in there. I've seen no aggression from the clown toward the Tang but that damn thing attacks me during tank maintenance

That BTA has looked like that for about a year. It bleached out under 4X65 lighting:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
Yellow tangs are vegetarians. There should be nori or some other vegetation available to fatten that tang up.

Keep trying, they will eventually take to the norri clip. Your tang is showing signs of LLD which is usually from malnurishment because he isnt getting the greens he/she needs. If it wont take to the norri just yet you can always break it up and feed it like flake food. But if you want your tang to live you have to start feeding greens like flake, formula foods for herbavores, formula 2 pellets... ect..

If you ever get another tang, they need nori to eat.
Yes, they'll likely ignore hair algae.
Yes, they don't see sheets of compressed algae for the first time and know that's food. It take a bit. They have to go over and take a few investigatory nibbles. Once they realize it's food, they'll go nuts for nori.

By the way, "nori" is just the generic name for the compressed algae sheets like Sea Veggies. You can just go to a big grocery store, look in the Asian foods section, and buy big sheets of nori - which is used to make sushi.
The way to prepare for a feeding a tang is to cut off a square, say 3" x 3", then roll that square into a nori cigarette, and place it in the clip.

sorry for your loss.

Moe nailed the feeding methodology I use. I bought a 4(?) year old yellow tang from another member 2.5 years ago. People who have seen it comment on how 'thick' it is....Moe for instance. The nori cigarette in a clip is exactly the way I do it, 5x a week. I let my 2 tangs pick on the rocks the other 2 days

Back