Name that anenome

david3d

Non-member
A few weeks ago I got a couple pieces of live rock and what I first thought to be some sort of polyp has started to move around. It's cruising today and has moved about 7" or so. It's small 1/4" or so and brownish in color. I took this picture of him today.

rndanemones.jpg

Anyone know what this is....if it's a pest or not. How should I feed it if it's not a pest. I know the other anenomes in this picture are aipstasia...I'm debating pulling them out of the tank. But this is a 6gal mantis tank so I'm not really concerned about the aipstasia getting out of hand.

-David

I had looked at some pictures of mojano last night on the web trying to ID this guy. The pictures I found didn't match him...but he's a small guy so I guess that could be why the pictures I found didn't match.

I know that both mojano and aipstasia are considered pest anemone's. How does one go about removing these? Is it as simple as plucking them out of the tank? Do they sting...if so what precautions should I take when dealing with them.

-David

Dave I have some Joes Juice that kills the instantly, althought I did break the syringe:(

Feel free to stop over and grab the bottle and give it a try. Not sure how to apply without the syringe.. Hey..... I have some crack addicts living next door that I think I can get a syringe from :)

Like Ray said, kalk paste should work. You can try "Joe's Juice" if you want a commercial product. That is said to work well.
For Aiptasia you could try (true) peppermint shrimp. They worked well in my 5 gal tank. I've heard copperband butterfy fish will work too. Many butterfly fish love Aiptasia and any other anemone you have. Problem is, after the undesireable anemones are gone, there's a great chance the fish will eat valuable stuff.
I've seen ScavDog's racoon butterly devour Aiptasia from a hunk of rock held in Joe's hand. I've also seen Greg Hiiler's old copperband do the same trick.
Good luck.

Moe_K said:
Like Ray said, kalk paste should work. You can try "Joe's Juice" if you want a commercial product. That is said to work well.
For Aiptasia you could try (true) peppermint shrimp. They worked well in my 5 gal tank. I've heard copperband butterfy fish will work too. Many butterfly fish love Aiptasia and any other anemone you have. Problem is, after the undesireable anemones are gone, there's a great chance the fish will eat valuable stuff.
I've seen ScavDog's racoon butterly devour Aiptasia from a hunk of rock held in Joe's hand. I've also seen Greg Hiiler's old copperband do the same trick.
Good luck.

This is in a 6gal nano setup for my mantis. I doubt that peppermint shrimp will last long. Can I just pull the rocks that have these on them out of the tank and remove them?

-David

Manual removal (scraping, cutting, brushing) usually leaves bits behind that grow into new anemones.
You can try removing and treating w/ kalk paste.

If you can take the rock out, do it now. The mojanos especially will move around to other rocks. Once it's out leave it in the sun or soak it in freshwater or something.

Hi David,
What's an anenome?

I know, I'm a wise a**, but it's "anemone" ( i think, now i'm confused :p )

I've never tried the Kalk paste, But Joes Juice works real nice for me.

You might even consider leaving them. They are kinda cool looking. I guess it depends on what else you'll put in the tank because they have a strong sting.

As for the ID, I have no idea.

Patrick

I leave them alone in my mantis tank. It's a completely seperate system so I don't need to worry about them spreading. In ANY other tank I'd kill them quick. Joe's juice only makes them splitt. They seem to die, but then come back with friends!

They are said to help with water quality because they baisicly filter the water as they grow. It is fun to feed them, but you might want to put some other non photosynthetic stuff in there later like sun polups and they would get stung.

Well today I pulled all the live rock out that had the aiptasia and mojano on them. Put them in a bucket of RODI water and scrubbed them good with a new toothbrush. How long should I leave these out of the tank before they are safe to put back into the tank? I don't want to create an ammonia spike. So for now I'm leaving them out and if this rain will ever go away I plan on letting them sit out in the sun for a few days.

-David

Back