Naso

t1771

Non-member
I have tried to feed my new naso everything, but nothing is working. I know this is a common problem so i was wondering what finally worked for people. I have tried sea veggies, nori, bloodworms, flake, and some other kind of dried seaweed I got at the LFS.
thanks in advance for any advice!
Tiff

Is there another fish in the tank that is bothering the Naso? I had some problems with an established Yellow Tang not liking the new company. A mirror by the tank solved the problem very quickly; aggressive, but not overly bright! :p

Eric

I'd agree with Piscevore and try brine or mysis. Nasos tend to stress very easily and it sometimes takes them longer to adjust. Good luck!

Also try bits (small shreds) of table shrimp.
All my fish have loved shrimp. My new hawkfish goes nutso for the stuff.
My old purple tang used to gobble the stuff too.

when I got my Naso a few years back he was in very bad condition and same thing wouldnt eat what I did was locate someone with fresh macr ( didnt have a fuge at the time ) and tried that he took to it rite away so then I just started added the macro to the fish goo and feeding both at the same time he soon got ataste of the other "goodies
" in the goo and in no time was eating everything he has now been woth me almost 4 years and is fat and happy as can be :)

Naso Tangs are a bit shy for a tang. Does it have alot of competition for food? Try something live like Ryan said. If there is competition, remove the aggressive fish for a couple of days to let the naso take residence. I had to remove my PB Tang for a couple of days when I got my Sohol.....

I would wrap/rubberband some nori on a piece of rubble rock and drop it to the sand. Eventually, it will pick at it when it is settled and hungry (not necessarily in that order).

thanks for all the advice. i haven't tried live anything yet..but I will today. I have attached nori to a rubber band and placed it on a rock, no luck with the naso. I have a yellow tang that I bought the same day and they don't seem to be fighting or anything, actually they're getting a long pretty well. My old naso I had for 3+ yrs never had this problem, so I don't know what is going on. But thanks for the advice, I am going to try evryones suggestions. the good thing is he is picking away at algae on the glass!

One more thing where can I get live brine?

>One more thing where can I get live brine?<

Skipton's often has it, I think SeaWorld has it as well, some shops have stopped bringing it in. Problem is going to be that the other fish in your tank will eat it a lot faster than the tang. I agree, keep trying algae sheets, or macro algae. Maybe some good old fashioned hair algae as well.

I've seen tangs go after various types of caleurpa and chaetomorpha, as well as gracilaria. If you don't have any of the three in your fuge, you should! :)

I'm sure a local shop will sell you a handful for a few bucks, and any member (whose tank you trust!) can probably supply you with a bunch for free.

I'm going to keep trying everything...I don't have a fuge piscevore, but hopefully i can buy some!

Back