NEAQ membership?

Armando

v 4.0
Anyone with a NEAQ membership? Is it worth it? It looks like the only membership level that offers behind-the-scenes tour is the "Friend of the Aquarium" which is very $$$.

My mom bought us a family membership recently. We love it. Lots of activities outside the aquarium that you get discounts or exclusive access to as a member. (even including collection dives in exotic places, at the extreme end)

Worth it! A couple of visits and it pays for itself.. the best part is that if you want to go for just a hour or so when your downtown you can... no extra cost

dad300 said:
Worth it! A couple of visits and it pays for itself.. the best part is that if you want to go for just a hour or so when your downtown you can... no extra cost
That's great for me because I work 2 blocks away from the aquarium

i live a few blocks away and that's why i joined. it's nice to just drop in. went for the family membership for $80, i can get myself and three others in for free!
an individulal membership is $40 or $45 i think.

however, i wish they'd update the signs on the smaller tanks to reflect what actually is in them.

Now on the other hand, I guess the big question is.... Do they actually change anything within a year to justify a second visit? I had an impression that nothing really changed in a couple of years so I wouldln't feel compelled to go back and having a membership would not be a really good investment. Not a nasty comment, just wondering what is the real benefit of an individual membership.

I support the aquarium because I want it to become a good aquarium. If you think you may go a few times during the year, or take advantage of any of the other benefits, then membership can be cost effective. But personally, I am always very disappointed when I go to the aquarium. I'd rather stay at home and look at my reef tank. :-(

Not too much changes month to month Armando, although the special exhibit area to the left changes from time to time. We go more frequently because my daughter likes it, and she changes month to month, so her reaction is different every time. For her the penguins alone are worth the price of admission. :)

Since it's a donation, you can also deduct it from your taxes. Not sure if a standard day pass is.

aquarium

Hey Armando
I have had a behind the scenes tour from the lead aquarist there it is cool you get to see all the tanks where they raise the jellyfish the filtration systems how things are setup why they do things the way they do holding tanks the vet clinic
where they take in wounded marine life what they feed to there fish and marine animals I dont know if thats what you would get shown I got the tour because I was looking to work there so I got shown everything
the boston aquarium society gets a behind the scenes tour every now and then
if money is the issue about joining just look at it is for a good cause thats helping the enviornment and protecting the fresh water and marine life.

membership....

I have 3 kids, so for our family it is worth it. Two visits and its "paid" for itself. The kids like to go, and the discounted parking helps too. We actually parked there then walked to govt. center for the patriots parade last Jan.

Back