Need help / advice

CapeReefer

Non-member
So I bought a used apex and this I got the probes and they are just coated in crap…. Anyone have any suggestions as to safe ways to clean them without messing up the probes? Is citric acid safe?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 128
So I bought a used apex and this I got the probes and they are just coated in crap…. Anyone have any suggestions as to safe ways to clean them without messing up the probes? Is citric acid safe?
How old are those probes? I'd look into replacing them.

Not sure how old any of it is…. They cleaned up nicely with water and vinegar but still not sure if they will work properly. I know I’ll have to recalibrate them then I guess just hope for the best.

temp probe should be fine if you have no idea how old like above note replace 1 at a time just to be safe

Brought a couple oldies back into service and found patience and a very long soak works best. I'd let them soak for a few days in the vinegar. When I didn't soak them long enough I had issues in trying to calibrate and in trusting them. Temp probes don't really get contaminated and should be ok, but again, double check its calibration against a known good thermometer or average of a few cheapos.....lol

One of your probes was made in March of 2018. I can see the tag on the wire.

Temp will be fine but for the others, maybe just use them to monitor for a few months and compare against a known standard. I would NOT use them to control anything important (and what isn't important). Don't use an ancient pH probe to dose kalk.

Back