Need help picking led light

Chris L

Nano reefing
BRS Member
Hey everyone, since it has been a while since ive had a tank and led lights are new to me i need your help, i have a 25 gallon that will house softies and lps maybe easy sps. i am looking for good color and growth but do not want to break the bank as this is not going to be the final tank, i will be upgrading later this year to a larger tank again. any sugestions would be great.
thanks

I would recommend pacific suns for your final tank. They are amazing bit pricey but we'll worth it. The best thing yet the ones I have, have no whites so mKes a turquoise color.

Chris I would say for the final tank go pacific suns. I just upgraded from cheap chinese LEDs to the PAC suns. Soooo much better but they are pricey. For your small tank now those cheap chinese LEDs that you can get on eBay for like $150 would be your way to go. I used it for about 10 months and color was nice and got good growth as well. If you wanna check out the PAC sun LEDs on person your more then welcome to come check mine out

I'm a big fan of the Kessil A350W. I got one used for < $300. You might not get away with an A150 if you're on a tight budget.

Check out the reef breeders line of LEDs I have a photon 48 and love it. Can't beat the price and quality

Thanks bill!

Has anyone used the current reef led fixtures, they seem to have some nice features and they run about 150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any dimmable blue white led with wide/no lens will do. That's just my opinion.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Dropped a few Benjamins on a Pandora S from Pac Sun recently after a lot of research and thinking ;). Just waiting for it to arrive now... hardest part :(

Higor

Thanks bill!

Has anyone used the current reef led fixtures, they seem to have some nice features and they run about 150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on what you are planning to grow. If you are doing mostly LPS and soft corals you could probably get away with them but they are not all that bright compared to other fixtures. I have one of the pure actinic TrueLumen Pro strips on a 14g as a supplement just to make the colors pop and it does a great job at that. If you used a few of them you would probably be okay but IMO a single strip is not going to be enough.

i have a 25 gallon that will house softies and lps maybe easy sps ...do not want to break the bank as this is not going to be the final tank,

According to what you are planning to keep, a Reefbreeder LED or Kessile 350 will do a nice job for you.

I'm in the process of setting up my tank now and even though I will most likely be keeping mostly LPS, Zoas, and mushrooms, I wanted something that I could dial up in the future to be able to keep SPS, clams, or anemones. This way if/when I want to move up to corals with higher light requirements I won't have to buy another light fixture.

I looked at the Reefbreeders, Kessile, AI Nano, and the Maxspect Razor Nano. I ended up with the Maxspect. It had everything I was looking for. A sub $300 price point, an onboard controller with two channels to control (Whites/Blues), and it came with a tank mount kit so I didn't have to hang it. It provides great coverage for my Biocube 29 which is roughly 20"x18"x18".

Be careful using maxspect 90 degree len with mount kit. The light spread is too narrow and too focus for LPS.

Be careful using maxspect 90 degree len with mount kit. The light spread is too narrow and too focus for LPS.

Thanks for the heads up. I did see the available 120 degree lens kit and have been considering it.

Try it out first then see if you like your coral color and growth, also the disco ball effect.

I have full size Maxspect since the day it came out.

Back