Need Help with Black Sun Corals

pvh

Non-member
I have some black sun corals and they seem to have difficult opening up. Anyone have any problem with this? I have orange/yellow sun corals and they open up fine, but the black one seems to have problem. Any idea?

How long have you had them? If they are new, try feeing them cyclopese to start. They may just not open up very well but as long as you see a little but of polyp opening you can try presenting it with mysis.

I've been nursing a colony and this is a picture of it accepting food the third day I had them. The first couple of days, they didn't open up at all and just looked like orange skeleton so I covered it in cyclopese for about a half hour twice a day the first couple of days until I got it to accept shrimp. Here's a shot of it eating mysis for the first time. Just be patient and keep at it until it gets used to eating on your schedule.

Attachments

• sun1stfeed.jpg
    sun1stfeed.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 178
My black sun corals haven't eat anything in 2 weeks. Is this ok? How long can it go without eatting?

Last night I took them out of the tank and put them in a smaller container so I can feed them directly. They started to open up and ate some mysis. Cool looking corals.

Congratulations! I'd suggest offering them food every day at the same time for a week or so until they get plump and back to normal. You'll know when to back off on the feedings when the polyps are less eager to eat everyday. Then you can scale back to 2-3 times a week.

Some people only feed once a week but I want mine to grow so I offer them food every day and I'm having good growth on them so far. I have 3 new polyps on the colony and the missing tissue in the middle of the skeleton is closing up.

Good luck.

Take some pics now so that you can remember what it looked like as it progresses in health. Pics have helped me because it reminds me how far we've come in a few days and I can't wait to do before and after pics in a few months.

Here is picture of my black sun corals. They are slowly openning up. They're very shy and I have to literally put food up to their mouths in order for them to eat. Unlike my orange/yellow sun corals which eat like crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_6001.JPG
    IMG_6001.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 106
Back