Need help with possible DINO outbreak

danb73

Non-member
Tank has been running for roughly 6 months with little to no algae issues after using live rock from several other tanks. Introduced Chaetomorpha in the fuge about 2 weeks ago and just noticed brown stringy algae with small bubbles on the strands in the display and sump. Not sure where Phospates are but Nitrates are around 10ppm. I am not currently running carbon. Just want advice on the best steps to take to eradicate the issue before it really takes hold. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had this issue for several months and I tried variety of methods (darkening the tank for few days, water changes etc.) but nothing worked. Dino would come back after a few days. What worked for me was Fauna Marin's DINO X. There are a wide range of opinions about this product but it works. You have to follow the doses as prescribed for 10 treatments (22 days). Please see detail instructions on their website.

I didn't lose any of my corals or livestock and my dino is all gone now. However, it does upset your tank's alkalinity and calcium consumption during the treatment. You need to monitor it closely. I have Neptune's Trident which made my life very easy to monitor and adjust the 2 part dosing accordingly. Without which I would have been too lazy about testing water manually every day and would have easily overdosed my tank if I were to continue with the normal amounts of dosing. I assume that you have a reef tank and you use 2 part dosing method. The alkalinity and calcium consumption will drop slowly and staidly as you start the 22 day long treatment. The reason behind some negative reviews could be due to these fluctuation. DINO X my not have killed anyone's corals but the losses could be due the ups and downs in alkalinity without even knowing it. Fauna Marin's instructions don't suggest anything about the fluctuations in alkalinity or calcium. My guess is that corals go on a 'stand by' mode and they don't like the medication while it is in the water and they stop growing (consuming alk/ca).

Overall, I was happy with the product for finally and completely getting rid of the Dino but I would like to caution you to test your water parameters everyday (twice a day for alkalinity if possible) and adjust the 2 part dosing accordingly. Your nitrate and phosphates will also go up due to dying of dino bacteria, which you could bring under control relatively easily. Below is a link to the product if you decide to use it. Good luck!

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fauna-marin-ultra-algea-x.html

Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely look into that. I just watched a video from the guy that makes the REEFBUM videos and I was very surprised to hear him say the only way he could beat dino’s was by aggressively growing macro algae to outcompete the dino’s. Very confusing as that would go against what most people say which is to increase nitrate and phosphate in the system as dino’s Thrive on 0 nutrients. No real clear answers on this and I think I need to make some quick decisions.

You are welcome! I tried that too. My sump was full of macro algae which further drove down nitrates and phosphates to zero. I used to have a very low nutrient system prior to the outbreak. Not any more. My nitrates are now between 2 and 3 phosphates at 0.12. In fact, corals seem to like it. However, have a mix reef and don't have a SPS dominant tank. I would be curious to know what method works for you. Good luck!

I’d figure out where Po4 is at. Try to keep trates and phos stable. Just keep an eye on them for a few months. It will help in the long run in getting to know the system too. If it doesn’t help and starts to get worst a UV sterilizer. In the past stable levels and a UV whipped them out with no return.

Ok thanks, I should probably run some carbon as well right as I have heard Dino's can release toxins.

Also, do you think I should continue growing Chaeto. Went from like a baseball size a few weeks back to covering the whole top of a 5 gallon fuge. I would imagine this caused my nitrates and phosphates to drop quickly which probably started the problem. One last thing to add is I just changed my salt that I use on the last water change before this started from regular IO to Reef Crystals.

Damn nice job growing cheato lol! I’d trim it back to a palm full and dose. Or just pull it all together. If it’s just in the fuge I wouldn’t worry about carbon. The first time I encountered dinos after beating them I had a mean green cyano outbreak. I think carbon kinda helped that. Not sure though. Changing salt mix shouldn’t of effected anything.

Back