-- Need info, got big Sea Serpent

ahmer1781

Non-member
I just set up my tank (3 weeks ago) and with my live rock came a smaller brittle starfish... haven't seen him since I put him in, however he's not the issue. I got a Serpent Sea Star that also came with my live rock, and he's big (maybe 6-8"). I looked up info on the Serpent, but not much info. I have a purple one with black stripes, so I can't seem to identify him but somebody told me that these guys can eat small fish if not fed properly? Is this true? Would this guy stress out my tank so I'd be limited to how many fish I get or is this guy just big and scary but a nice guy inside who cleans the tank bottom?

Here's a pic: http://yusuf2.fotopic.net/p31497818.html

And dont' worry, I only handled him the first day to get him out of the bucket and into my tank..haven't touched him since, I read its bad to expose them to air.

It won't bother your fish at all. I've had one like that in my tank for a year and a half. If I recall correctly, the ones that are a problem are the green ones.

I have brown one that is at least 14" across. I have had no problems with mine....

Yes, it's the green ones, Green Brittle Star Ophiarachna incrassata, that can sometimes trap and eat fish. Not super common that it occurs, but for bottom dewelling fish like sand sifting gobies, it's kind of a hazard. I think your serpent ought to be okay. You might toss it a chuck of food once or twice a month.

BTW, welcome to the forum, and the club. Hope to see you at the upcoming meeting in Framingham.

Serpant Stars OK

I've got 2 large serpant stars in my 80G tank (purple and banded). They are great. Don't bother the fish and love to be hand fed all sorts of food. I feed them every few days with scallops. krill, or any other meaty food. They will take it right from the tongs. I believe these creatures are scavengers and not likely to harm any fish.

I have one in my tank that's huge also. I love him. He was the first of the animals in the tank 2 years ago. Never bothers anyone.

Back