need info on fraging zoo's

mkeyb

marine addict
thats it i have way to many colonies of zoo's in my 90 i want to start fraging them out but i don't know how to frag them can someone help me out here please im counting 10+ colonies from where im sitting now and i know theres more help please im being over ran by zoo's lol:D

i wish i had that problem I've been trying to get my 54 corner all zoasi have 7 colony's and a number of frags

It's not that hard. I cut individual polyps off the colony with an x-acto knife then glue them to a frag plug/disk. They are toxic so be careful when handling them. They can spit too so you might want to wear a mask.

There's good fragging info at www.zoaid.com

LMK what you have, I'm always looking for zoas.

so your saying to just scrap them off the rock with a xacto knife and re-glue them on to like rubble then and do not do it in my main tank cuase of toxins better to do in a bucket?

... and do not do it in my main tank cuase of toxins better to do in a bucket?

A bucket would be better, but the tank inhabitants are used to these toxins. With minor fragging, I'd do it in the tank. What's most important is to keep these toxins away from YOU. If you have the slightest scratch on your hand, wear gloves. If you cut them outside of water, wear goggles and a mask. As mentioned, they squirt. And launder any towels immediately. There are many stories of people wiping their face with days-old zoanthid towels and getting a metallic taste or worse. Also stories of pets that have died after licking towels. That said, many BRS members have fragged zoas without any issues. It just pays to be careful. You can Google "palythoa toxin".

I lay out a towel on my work table and do it there. They can be out of the water for a little while with no ill effects.

You can also cut the rock with a dremel just below the base of the zoos, and then glue that to a new base.

well here is the thing at least five of these colonies are on the bottom of the tank on what i would call the base rock so to take them out of the tank would mean to rip apart my entire reef which i don't want to do
there are a few that on rocks that can easly be removed from the tank and done on the outside but its these base rock ones that are my main worry how would i do these?

To get zoas off the base rock, pry them up with a knife. It may be difficult to start. Once you have a bit loosened from the rock, it should get easier, but it's still tedious. When you have what you want for a frag, just cut it from the rest of the colony. If you're concerned about releasing too much toxin, just don't make more than one frag at a time.
BTW, even if you scrape off the entire colony, it will probably grow back. For this reason, some people culture their zoas on the sand or on islands, and not on their base rock.

I'm going to frag some zoos tomorrow night if you don't mind the drive. You're more than welcome to come see. PM me if interested.

actully i never meant for these colonies to be there they actully just sprung up so to say i wasn't complaining at first when i saw just a few poleps but they have grown so quick i have to do something the ones i have intended to be here are on seprate rocks those are the ones that are easly removed but these ones that are on the base are a diffrent color and everything like i said they just sprunge up

I might be interested in some of the frags if you part w/ them, your only about 5 minutes from me.:)

here is a pic

this is the main one takeing over i have 7 colonies of this type

Attachments

• zoos orange.jpg
    zoos orange.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 125
sorry for crapy pic all i have for a camara is a hp m305 3.2 pixel what pic isn't showing is the frill around the edges is as bright orage as the centers

i also have 3 colonies that look just like these except the centers and frill are neon green

thanks so much apistoborelli for all your help frags are looking great and that glue you gave me works awsome i have to get somemore of that stuff i glued down a few leather frags when i got home and damn that stuff worked fast much better then the marineland epoxy stick crap im used to useing your a great guy to know can't wait to have you at my house to play in my little piece of the ocean

No worries man, my pleasure. Your kids are great, can't wait for them to meet mine. LMK if you need anything.

M.

Back