Need input on T-6 HO lighting

SaltCreep

Non-member
This MAY belong in the DO IT YOURSELF forum.....if it does, I apologize in advance :)

I am playing around with T-6 high output lights and I'm really unclear about the electrical requirements.

According to natural lighting .com T-6 lights can use existing normal output fixtures.

"T6 Fluorescent Lamps - THE NEXT GENERATION of T5 lamps are direct replacements for standard T8 or T12 fixtures. No need to buy expensive T5 fixtures, or retrofit existing fixtures to use shorter T5 lamps. T6 have standard bipin (G13 base) connection, and are standard lengths (24, 36, and 48). These lamps have thicker glass, which makes them more durable, and they operate at slightly lower temperatures than standard T5 lamps. The lamps will operate with T8 electronic ballasts, and T5, 54 watt ballasts. The T6 Fluorescent Lamps provide 10% to 40% more light output than standard T8 fluorescent lamps.

These fluorescent lamps are excellent for new High Bay fluorescent fixtures using standard T8 lamps. Increase light output significantly by using or changing to T5 ballasts, without buying expensive T5 fixtures.

Sounds good right?
So I got some cheap t-6 bulbs..... and a cheap two bulb 54 watt ballast.

430964558_cca6eab6fc.jpg

At first they were dim and I was a little unhappy..... after about 10 minutes they got VERY bright.

430964766_1a5ba904e5.jpg

I am using normal output corallife water resistant T-8 endcaps. The bulbs are a little loose in the socket but the pins fit fine. So far the bulbs get pretty toasty, the ballst is warm, and the wires and endaps are cool to the touch.
I just wonder if this is an invitation to a fire, the endcaps said not for VHO or HO use.

I totally understand the not for VHO use....VHO gets HOT as hades but not for HO?

These bulbs are not that hot.... seem just as hot as nomal output.....

Also, the ADVANCE ballast calls for 18 guage solid copper wires and the corallife wires are not solid copper.

Thanks for any input....

I would check out the Equipment forum on RC. I know there some people have played with them. The Grim Reefer is a good source over there. The good thing about T6's is you can use them in the standard T-8/12 fixtures. They are probably going to take off more in the industrial section as you don't have to change out to T5 ballasts.

The problems I have read about is there is no "SLR" type reflector for them, and they are bigger than T5's so they will take up more room.

Anyways if you search on the RC equipment forum there is some good stuff there.

Never heard of T6HO. T6VHO, yes, but never T6HO. T6VHO, IIRC, should be used in VHO fixtures.

THe problem with this, is it doesnt solve the underlying problem that most fluorescent fixtures have: Absolutely awful reflectors.

After doing some research...... I guess my bulbs are probably not true T6-HO bulbs.

I got my bulbs cheap (odysea/ aquatraders) and they appear to be 54 watt T5-HO bulbs with T6 pins and ends.

They are that funny length ( 46 inches ) and true T6-HO are supposed to be 48 inches.

They have 54 watts printed on the bulb and true T6-HO should be 55 watts.

I started a thread on RC.... so far no real help there....

I probably should use 18 guage wire and get VHO endcaps.....but I had a bad experience with them once. One wire popped out and arced......smoke and flames comming out of the top of your reef is something I don't want to see again.

The normal output coralife endcaps I want to use, are pre-assembled and coated in rubber / plastic which would prevent wires "popping out".

It's amazing the amount of effort and time I spend being cheap!

Back