Need Rubbermaid stock-tank pics....

rtc_reefer

Non-member
I just got a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. $129.99. Plan to use it in the basement as a sump or sump/fuge...

I would like some pictures of how others have implemented theirs so that I can get more ideas before I commit to a design.

Thanks!

Here's my 100g:
attachment.php

I plan on covering with that eggcrate shortly you see in the background. I also need to get the basement insulation soon from HD before the basement starts to drop in temp and I lose heat.

-Mike

Interesting!!! I see in one pic that the fuge is separate... the other has the fuge as the stock tank. I would assume you cannot have a DSB in the stock tank due to the position of the drain. Why are you going to cover the tank with eggcrate?

Interesting!!! I see in one pic that the fuge is separate... the other has the fuge as the stock tank. I would assume you cannot have a DSB in the stock tank due to the position of the drain. Why are you going to cover the tank with eggcrate?

I have a cat that loves water so just want to keep her out of if. :) Plus as I work near the tank, stuff falls.

I've actually thought about putting something into the the sump to give pods a place to hide/go (not sure if just dry rock, or some extra pvc tubing, etc.) I have a lot of pods and worms in both the fuge and the sump. I did a seperate fuge since I had the space, and figured for cleaning and other maintainence, it would be easier. You can't really see it in the picture (unfortunatly I'm at work so can't take an updated one), however it's a 1.5" line that comes down that splits to the two tanks. It then goes into a 3" pipe that's cut at an angle at the bottom which reduces the bubbles. For the return I drilled a 1" hole in the side that goes to a mak4 pump back to the tank.

-Mike

Is there a reason that you did not use the existing drain plug?

Couldn't figure out what the size was, and pretty much everyone on the forums here said don't bother trying it won't work, so I took them at their word :p I also read several stories from people saying be VERY careful sealing that drain plug as well as they often leak as it's a double thread on it.

-Mike

Kiah,

Give us a quick pic of your kick*** skimmer next to your stock tank!

Gary

Mike, how did you attach the float valve?

The float valve came attached to a L shaped piece of plastic from the guy who I got my refurbished peristaltic pump. It looks like just a single cut piece from the plastic used to hold up drop ceilings. I then picked up a nylon bolt and nut set from the hardware store, and drilled a small hole in the side of the tank. I finally added silicone to the outside, in the hole before I inserted the bolt, then inside to make it water tight again.

-Mike

I have a 6" sand bed in the sump. Return 3000 GPH from the main tank but and 1000 GPH from other tanks and fuges, made diffusers out of PVC pipe. No sandstorms.

The skimmer is a 48" LifeReef and it is outstanding.

Auto top off replaces evaporative loss at 6 - 7 gallons down.

Occasionally I add a metal halide and it becomes a temporary frag tank.

100_5172.jpg

100_5173.jpg

Very nice Kiah! Too bad I wasn't into reef tanks when I lived in Hubbardston, would have loved to see your setup when I lived out that way.

-Mike

Thanks... Very cool ideas.. Nice skimmer too! one day...

This will be my winter project. It looks like insulation in the winter time is a good idea.

How about humidity in the basement during the winter or summer time; is this a problem?

Thanks... Very cool ideas.. Nice skimmer too! one day...

This will be my winter project. It looks like insulation in the winter time is a good idea.

How about humidity in the basement during the winter or summer time; is this a problem?

I haven't had it thru the winter yet (just set it up this summer), however it did raise the humidity noticeably. I got a cheap dehumidifier and ran its drain to the sewer line to keep it below 60% down there.

-Mike

Sump is in a very well insulated room with air conditioning. Expansion plans include a dehumidifier!

Back