Never Fragged Before and Thinking of Starting

darrowj

Non-member
I haven't added anything new to my tank for about 10 months. It has sort of been on auto-pilot. I mean I still love it and do regular maintenance but I simply have not felt the need to change anything.

Anyway, my tank has been getting seriously full with my growing soft corals. I have Xenia freaking everywhere. My Mushrooms are huge. So much so that my Clowns stopped hosting my BTA and started hanging in the Mushroom constantly. My Green Star, which started out as a 2x2" square, is 1' by 6" and starting to grow on my glass. I have yellow polyps springing up everywhere.

Nutshell version is everything is great but I feel the need to start getting rid of some of this stuff. If for nothing else but to make some room.

1. How do you frag Xenia? I tried a couple times and it just turns to jelly when it hits air. It is pretty funny seeing me with a tube of super glue trying to attach a piece of jelly to a rock. lol.

2. Do Mushroom and Green Star need to be attached to rock if I give it to someone? Is this.... customary? My first pieces were just cuttings but I don't want to be an a**.

I used to have a tank full of GSP as well so I can relate. It does not need to be attatched to a rock but it helps. I used to rip extra off and put it in my dads tank and when it didn't get blown all around the tank it grew.

As for the xenia can you keep it on the rock it's attatched to? The rock is surprisingly brittle. When I fragged my GSP rock I thought I would have to hammer the crap out of it but it just broke off with a screwdriver. So I'd try breaking it off a chunch of the rock so that it's still attatched...

1: I cut my xenia under water as close to the main stalk as I can. Then I let it attach itself to some rubble in a low flow area (where it will not blow around).

2: I think if you tell the person beforehand that it is not mounted then it is okay.

I placed a rubble rock next to my xenia. WIthin about a week, the xenia moved onto the rock. No fragging, no mess

Back