new build and upgrading!!

Moose

Non-member
We are currently working on moving from a 90 gallon with a 55 sump (thats pipped in to a 30 frag tank :) to a 150 cube with a 40 breeder sump. We are building the stand like we did for the 90 as we need more room to fit the sump etc. I am thinking of changing lights, right now we have leds that are working well for most things In the tank but after some talk we are looking at the ATI 8 bulb T5s, whats everyones opinions on LEDs vs T5s.

my opinion on LED vs T5.
go with T5, much better color than LED and easy for the camera. ask those folks on the forum. how many folks use ONLY LED in their SPS tank and are happy. (just ignore those that says they have good success with LED when they only been using for just a couple of months)

From my experiences, the people that loves doing SPS or high end acro. the yearly cost on bulb replacement is nothing. yes, repeat that 10 times.

Last edited:
I've had great success running just LED's on my tank and growing SPS. After discussions with other reefers and constant messing with the tank, it made good sense to add T5's to my setup. I believe each type of lighting has benefits so a hybrid approach isn't a bad idea but your can't go wrong with 8 T5's either, you just won't have the shimmer you get from point lighting (halide bulbs or LED pucks).

Its all preference.

T5 or Halides. LEDs will not save you any money, and you will end up adding T5 to them (I thought people liked LEDs because they didn't need to replace the bulb...hmmm).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I like led for sunrise/sunset, shimmer, custom color control , noise reduction (chiller no longer runs) and cost savings. The chiller not running 20 hours a day in itself made it worth it for me. My original set up was an RSM650 that runs 10x80w T5s. I switched over to Kessil 360s initially, but then added back in 4 t5s. I'm with Bryan on the hybrid approach. I also run just kessils in my 40b frag tank and my color in both tanks is awesome. Growth is so so, but I've never had strong growth even when I was just t5.

Back