New Club Benefit - water testing at upcoming meetings

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
The club has invested in some equipment that will allow us with a small sample (maybe 250 ml or so) of your tank water to test:

Salinity (refractometer calibrated properly with refractometer salinity standard)
Alkalinity (standard titration with pH indicator)
Calcium (modified HACH test kit, resolution to about 15 ppm Ca)
Magnesium (modified HACH test kit, resolution to about 50 ppm Mg)

and eventually low range Phosphate using the Hanna meter and test kit. We will not likely have the Hanna meter for the March meeting, but will likely have it at the April meeting (being donated by Hanna, facilitated by a member of the BRS).

At this time to simplify testing we plan to charge (as a donation to the club) $5, which will test all the above parameters for you. At the March meeting we will not be able to do Phosphate, so we will only be asking for a donation of $3.

For anyone not having the test kits, it's a great way to get a baseline for your tank, or if you question the reading your getting from your own test kit it's a good chance to see if there is a problem.

Last edited:
Greg - that's an awesome idea! I can't wait for the phosphate test - I can't get any of those damn kits to give me a good reading.

Greg, I must add that I'm VERY impressed with todays announcements. Between this and salinity solution, I feel the club is moving in a good direction. Thanks to the BOD, MODs, and everyone else. Kudos to all of you who make the club run. We ALL know how hard that can be around here sometimes.....:)

Great idea! Especially for people like me that can not use a sailfert ALK test for the life of me!

I just bought a used digital salinity monitor. I've had trouble calibrating it...and it measures my water to be quite different from my (extremely accurate :rolleyes: ) float measurement. Would anyone mind if I bring it to compare it with your calibrated refractometer on a couple samples when you do your testing?

Greg, and BOD...this is a great service to the members. I wish I could get back up and attend.

The club has invested in some equipment that will allow us with a small sample (maybe 50 ml or so) of your tank water to test:

Salinity (refractometer calibrated properly with refractometer salinity standard)
Alkalinity (standard titration with pH indicator)
Calcium (modified HACH test kit, resolution to about 15 ppm Ca)
Magnesium (modified HACH test kit, resolution to about 50 ppm Mg)

and eventually low range Phosphate using the Hanna meter and test kit. We will not likely have the Hanna meter for the March meeting, but will likely have it at the April meeting (being donated by Hanna, facilitated by a member of the BRS).

At this time to simplify testing we plan to charge (as a donation to the club) $5, which will test all the above parameters for you. At the March meeting we will not be able to do Phosphate, so we will only be asking for a donation of $3.

For anyone not having the test kits, it's a great way to get a baseline for your tank, or if you question the reading your getting from your own test kit it's a good chance to see if there is a problem.

I just bought a used digital salinity monitor. I've had trouble calibrating it...and it measures my water to be quite different from my (extremely accurate :rolleyes: ) float measurement. Would anyone mind if I bring it to compare it with your calibrated refractometer on a couple samples when you do your testing?

Sure, we can test a sample of your tank water with your meter and with a calibrated refractometer.

Big thanks to Josh (Penguinsix) for helping out with the water testing today, hopefully he'll be willing to help in the future. :) Sorry I misplaced the sample vial for the Ca/Mg test. :eek:

I was struck by how low the alkalinity was in several members tanks (some well below 1.8 meq/l). This is something that is easy to fix with baking soda at about 1 teaspon/20 gallons dissolved in some fresh water and then added to the tank. Remember corals need BOTH calcium and alkalinity to grow.

Back