new dogface not eating

tommy6905

Non-member
got him on friday, i had the lfs show me he was eating and he was. got him home acclimated him for about an hour an half, left the lights off for about a day after adding him. when i turned the lights on i tried feeding a silverside but wasnt interested, then tried some raw shrimp and he ate a bit, but his tummy is still on the thin side. its now been about 2 days since he ate. i will test the water, but imsure its good. whats next? just wait it out and hope for the best. the lfs was feeding it frozen krill, is it possible it has lock jaw or something, if so how do you go about fixing that?

also his activity isnt much, hell hang around in one spot for awhile, then swim around for a few minutes, then its back to the same spot.

other tank mate is a niger trigger

also i could qt him but i dont wanna stress him out anymore then he already is, thanks in advance for any help, id hate to lose this guy

2 days?Yikes,just relax.He's most likely freaked out from the move.
Just keep trying,but don't pollute the water.Heck,I don't even feed my fish sometimes for 3 or more days.
Give it time.

no doubt i usually only feed about 2 or 3 times a week myself, i just want to get this guy eating

I was told that puffers sometimes woun't eat for 3 or 4 days if they are moved to a diffrent location.....my spiny box puffer didn't eat for 2 days at the LFS when he came in , left him there for a week and he was eating fine, brought him home and its been 6 days and he just nibbles at random stuff but hasn't tooken down a full meal yet .......looks health so I ain't too worried yet

ya im gonna grab some ghost shrimp tomorrow, theres tons of hermits, snails in the tank, but doesnt interest him.

i bought a fu manchu lionfish and a blue spotted puffer 3 days ago. my blue spot puffer was eating the same day i added him to the tank. and he has a appetite like a pig. but on the other hand the lionfish ate the first day i put him in the tank. and after that he just refuses to eat. it's been 3 days since i bought him and hes still not eating. im worried if i can ever get him to eat again. i hate when you add a fish to your tank and he refuses to eat for days/weeks. because im always worried he is going to die. but all you can do is try

ya like i said this is the first time ive had a problem with a fish not eating, i tried soaking some raw shrimp in garlic tonight but he wanted no part of it, tomorrow im going to do a water change, and then spend a few bucks on some ghost shrimp, live brine, see if that entices him, ill let people know how this works out. i really hope this guy dont die

ya im gonna grab some ghost shrimp tomorrow, theres tons of hermits, snails in the tank, but doesnt interest him.

i also stopped by my lfs today to get ghost shrimp for my lionfish. and low and behold he ate it as soon as it hit the water. i guess for now and on i have to buy ghost shrimp for him until i get him to eat frozen food

Jen -- are you training the fu to a net? I always fed my fus live using a net so they came to expect live food coming out of the net. Then I would kill the shrimp and feed them dead out of the net. Then I started adding all sorts of stuff in the net and they ate whatever came out of the net. Then I made a feeding stick and they learned to eat whatever I fed them on the stick. And now ... they eat whatever I dump in the tank. A tru fu success story!

update: lil puff isnt looking so hot, hes definitely seen better days, hes turned a dark blackish color and has white spots all over his body, going to give him a few more days, and hope things turn around.

should i just put him out of his misery and save him the stress?

update: lil puff isnt looking so hot, hes definitely seen better days, hes turned a dark blackish color and has white spots all over his body, going to give him a few more days, and hope things turn around.

should i just put him out of his misery and save him the stress?

did you try feeding the puffer ghost shrimp? him turning black in color and has white spots all over his body, is not good (gone throught it before with a tang). imo you should never put a fish put of his misery. you should just let the fish be. and see if he can pull through

Jen -- are you training the fu to a net? I always fed my fus live using a net so they came to expect live food coming out of the net. Then I would kill the shrimp and feed them dead out of the net. Then I started adding all sorts of stuff in the net and they ate whatever came out of the net. Then I made a feeding stick and they learned to eat whatever I fed them on the stick. And now ... they eat whatever I dump in the tank. A tru fu success story!

no, i am not training the lionfish with a net. i just throw the ghost shrimp in the tank. but i am defenitely going to put the ghost shrimp for now and on in a net. and try the steps you did. and see if i can slowly get him to eat frozen foods

did you try feeding the puffer ghost shrimp? him turning black in color and has white spots all over his body, is not good (gone throught it before with a tang). imo you should never put a fish put of his misery. you should just let the fish be. and see if he can pull through
i wouldnt want to kill the fish, nor would i anything. i just feel bad thats all, but i guess your right just let him be and see if he can pull through. i know it sounds bad, but i was too busy today to get to any lfs, but i will def tomorrow. he has been swimming around though for the last half hour, alot better then him huddled up in a ball behind a rock

no, i am not training the lionfish with a net. i just throw the ghost shrimp in the tank. but i am defenitely going to put the ghost shrimp for now and on in a net. and try the steps you did. and see if i can slowly get him to eat frozen foods

if you keep feeding him live food he most likely will not switch over to frozen. if you get him hungry he will most likely eat frozen. don't feed him for a week or so and then try to feed him some krill.

Back