New Lights and unexpected results

darrowj

Non-member
About 1 week ago I got a new set of lights for my tank. I have a 46 G bow front. I used to have 155 W of CF 50/50. Now I have a 150 W MH and 2 95 W Actinic. I have the two Actinics timed to run 12 hours a day. The MH I have timed to run only 8 hours in the middle of the day.

With that said I have a number of soft corals and a Rose BTA. The BTA seems fine but the corals all appear to have shrunk and withdrawn.

Water parameters have not changed since I put the light in place. So I can only assume the light is the reason for the change.

Is there normally an adjustment period after an increase in light?

yes, you probably should have adjusted your corals to the new more intense light.

Usually people either start with the new MH very high up (12" or maybe a little more) above the tank, and every other day or so, lower in .5" or so.. until desired height is reached.

Another way people do it sometimes is to stack a number of screens or glass tops on top of the tank, to make it so less light makes it through, and every couple of days you remove a top or screen.

Yup , you need to acclimate corals when switching to more intense lighting. Use plastic window screening built up in layers (at least 3 ) on the top of the tank. Over a couple of weeks start removing the layers till there is none left. Or raise the light as Joel suggested and slowly lower over a couple of weeks.

edit: I could have saved my self some typing if I had read Joel's complete response.

Also, I am changing my bulbs and have changed two -- will wait for a couple of weeks and then change the other three. Always have to do things slowly.

Your corals are definatly suffering from light shock. Even when I replace my MH bulb I go down to about 4hr a day and add an hour every day or two until I get back up to my normal photoperiod. You could do the same thing but proably go even slower.

When I changed over I did not bother with the screen stuff but just adjusted the photo period over about ten days, worked fine.

Jim

Back