New Member - Researching a 54 Gal Corner Aquarium

BigDora

Non-member
Hi Everyone,
This site is great. I've been doing a lot of reading and research and have learned a lot from everyone on this site.

I hope to set up a 54 gallon corner aquarium (All-Glass Brand most likely) in the next month or so. I'm having trouble finding a stand I like. Has anyone seen any corner stands other than the few offered by AGA and Oceanic?

Thanks.

The stands are actually fairly easy to make yourself... ever consider giving that a shot? I know several people out there have made stands for corner aquariums... maybe someone would like to make one you can purchase?

My husband offered to make one, but I thought I would see what else might be out there before I add something else to his list of things to do. If someone has a design that would be great. I'll keep searching on this site too.

Hello! I have the same tank :) I bought the regular stand that is offered with it, and I have to say that there is NO ROOM under it! If you have someone to make you a custom stand, I would take them up on it, and get them to make you extra space. The biggest sump I could fit under there was 10 gallons, and it's a tight fit with the skimmer, heater, and some rubble. HTH!

Overwhelmed - May go with Red Sea Max 34 Gal

I'm a little overwhelmed with all the choices required for a bigger tank, especially as a beginner. I'm leaning towards the "plug and Play" Red Sea Max 34 gallon, but it feels kind of like I am cheating because I don't have to make any decisions about any equipment. I've seen a number of used tank set ups (some hardly used at all) for sale, so maybe it isn't good to take on too much too fast. Any other beginners out there who've gone directly to a big tank with a full set up? Any one with experience with the Red Sea Max?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Club, planning your new tank out is key, try not to make the mistake of buying a tank then wishing you had gone bigger, like i did. The cost of upgrading can be a big bummer... also remember that you have the club behind you for any question you may have... Good luck with your choice, remember we like pictures :)

Going with the 54

You're right, I would want to go bigger, so that is what I will start with. Thanks for the support.

dont be afraid of corner tanks. get what you want that will fit into the space of where your gonna keep it. you can always get creative when it comes to sump space, i have heard of putting a round trash can underneath.
just dont skimp on cheap equ. always get the best your wallet can afford:)
good luck

Welcome!

I vote for having your hubby custom build you a sweet stand. Then when he is finished be like wow dear, you did such a good job would you mind making me a custom hood:D. He offered, don't feed bad about adding to his "honey do list", thats a womans prerogative, right?

Sorry BigDora's husband if the list gets bigger:D

Here come the questions..sorry if this is so long.

1) For the stand, If my husband builds one for me, is there anything special I should have him include? I found a stand by BRI Aquatics in the following link:
http://www.briaquaticcabinets.com/html/54__corner_bow_front.html (scroll to the bottom). I understand that this manufacturer is out of business. If anyone knows of any vendors who may have some stands hanging around, please let me know.

2)I plan on a protein skimmer and a wet/dry filter. For the wet/dry filter, the consensus on this website seems to be to take out the bio-balls and use live rock rubble instead. But I am confused..is this where I could also put sand and/or mud like a refugium, or would that be built in a separate unit? Or should I start out with a refugium and skip the wet/dry set up? The 54 gallon corner is pretty tight on space, but I think a refugium would be really cool. Is this too much for a beginner? I guess to answer this question you would need to know what I intend to keep.

For livestock, this is my plan:
Live Rock - 60 lbs or so
Live sand - 2-4 inches

(in order of introduction)
Neon goby
Yellow Assessor
Shrimp goby (small on like the Longray gobies)
Banggai Cardinalfish
Flasher Wrasse
Pair of Clownfish
Bubble tip Anemone
Non-aggressive corals - Waving hand coral and others I have not researched yet.

3) I would really like to have a Mandarin fish some day. The books all say they should only go into an established tank and one with an ample supply of copepods. From my list above, are there any fish who would compete with the Mandarin for food?

Thank you all so much for your help.

Back