New sump setup help

kkeller416

Non-member
So I have a red sea e260 that I installed the sump kit on. I just bought the pipes and attempted to fit a aqueon pro flex 3 underneath.
The problem I'm having is when the system powers down The sump is maxed out for water level. But with everything running the sump water level is to low to run the skimmer properly. (Skimmer wants 8” of water, stuck around 5")
How can I raise the water level?
Could I add a Herbie type fitting on drain to keep the water level in display same but lessen the amount that drains to sump?
Thoughts ideas?

Attachments

• 16371048638801372754652640394518.jpg
    16371048638801372754652640394518.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: Bao
You will have to raise the water level in the sump. BUT if it was me I would custom make my own sump so I can give more vertical height to the sump to accommodate the extra water. As how your sump is now I wouldn't bother adding more water if it's maxed out when power is off. You never know when the power can shut off and don't want to risk spill over.

No baffle between skimmer and return pump. They are in the same chamber..
I could possibly cut down a baffle between the center section and last to make it shorter..
But I'm not sure that would be enough.

If I were to upgrade the sump how do I make sure I don't have the same problem..I would hate to spend money and have the same issue. Is there a way to calculate size of return?

Have you tried reducing the pump flow back to the display. Your pump may be overkill for the amount of turnover you really need. I second checking the BRS calc.

wow all great advice. I like build your own...
I did a 40 gallon breeder custom cut 1/4" glass
large refugium tons of space for reactors and skimmer

Attachments

• IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 107
Can you compartment off the return pump in that sump? If so you could drop the water hight in the return section and build a baffle at the height you want your skimmer at.

I think you could. I had to raise my skimmer off the bottom.
the glass in the middle section should have been 1" lower

Back