New tank obsession...I can't stop thinking aout it

dedfish

That's Mr.Murphy to you!
So I keep thinking about a new reef tank. Something that I can do right and be proud of. Right now I have a small 36bow. About 2 years ago I was gonna set up a 40 breeder in the bedroom of my old apartment but had problems making everything quiet enough. I also kind over did it with the DIY and the tank never was set up. So now that I am in a new apartment I keep thinking about a larger tank. Not too long ago I even started a thread about the perfect sized tank for an apartment.

I think I'm almost ready to take the plunge and set up something nice and a bit bigger. I've been toying with the idea of a 70g Oceanic Tech Series tank....center over flow, euro braced instead of center brace, pre painted black back, and starphire glass on the front pane. They really look nice and with the 70g being 36 inches long I could use the T5 lights I already have plus a lot of the other equipment I originally bought for the 40g...return pump, closed loop pump with 4-way oceans motions squirt. I have the option of setting up a basement sump, but I think I'm going to avoid that to start with. I'm not sure if I'll be in this apartment for more than 2 more years and I'd like to have a setup that I could move into a new apartment without having to have the basement sump if it's not allowed. I might go ahead and set one up here but ultimately the system should be able to fit everything under the stand.

Now here's where I would like some advice...I've been out of the loop and I haven't been keeping track of things like skimmers and reactors. I'd like to start a list of equipment I will need. I have a nice 4 bulb T5 Sunlight Supply retrofit kit. I'll be getting another 2 bulb setup. I have a 29gal sump and a Eheim 1262 for a return pump and a velocity T4 for a closed loop with the Squirt. I have several maxijets with prop mods if I needed anymore flow. So pumps and lights are covered but what about skimmers? What is the best values skimmer out there? I've read a few good things about Octopus. Any other brands considered a good value? How about calcium reactors? I'll need a reactor, a CO2 tank, and a regulator? Is there a good value package that someplace sells that gets you everything you need? I keep using the word value...I don't mind spending what needs to be spent on a good piece of equipment but I don't want to pay for just a name. I'm not looking for the bare minimum but I also don't need the absolute best. I like bang for the buck.

If your actually still reading this long rambling post and you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

You seem like yu have your tank, lights, sump, and pumps picked out. I have been very happy with my Octopus skimmer. I did the gate valve mod and meshmod to the needle wheeel, and it has been a consistent performer, and I believe it was an excellent value. You could spend a lot more, on a Deltec or Bubble master, but Octo has pretty good bang for the buck.

I can't speak about reactors, because I dose with 3-part......

Thanks Jay. Sounds like I'll keep Octopus on my list.

Anyone else have an opinion on skimmers and reactors for this setup? I can't believe with all the highly opinionated people we have around here no else has any recommendations. May be I should have asked the question 'what skimmer and reactor would Al Gore buy?'. :D

You seem like yu have your tank, lights, sump, and pumps picked out. I have been very happy with my Octopus skimmer. I did the gate valve mod and meshmod to the needle wheeel, and it has been a consistent performer, and I believe it was an excellent value. You could spend a lot more, on a Deltec or Bubble master, but Octo has pretty good bang for the buck.

I can't speak about reactors, because I dose with 3-part......

Me too, although I have not modified mine at all...yet. Works great as long as I keep it clean.

I also dose 3-part and have no problem with a welly stocked 90 with mostly SPS/LPS.

I have (3) octos, one modded, yeah I know, I'll get around to the other two. Yes, I love them.

I had a center overflow on my 75g... I wish it was in the corner........ wasn't happy with it.

Michael

The other option in a 36 inch tank would be a 65g and that has the overflow not in the corner but on the left side. I'd much rather have a non centered overflow on the right hand side since that side would be up against a wall. The other main problem is the center brace on a 65g. Also the center overflow on the oceanic is a bit slimmer but longer than the standard megaflow.
12455_400wh.jpg

I knew mentioning Al Gore would get me responses. :)

I'm now thinking about using a LiterMeter instead of a reactor. Thoughts on that? Anyone want to talk me out of it?

Most people use a litermeter with a reactor ( kalk reactor ).

I'm partial to the techtanks for a few reasons. In my current 65 had I gotten the oceanic I wouldn't be wasting as much space with my tunze wavebox.

The return with the use of a splitter allows for a better distributed flow

The overflow is lower profile allowing for more options in aquascaping.

The euro brace aids against saltcreep.

I prefer the black silicone also.

The only downfall I have seen so far is impaired use of sea swirls.

Last edited:
Most people use a litermeter with a reactor ( kalk reactor ).

I'm partial to the techtanks for a few reasons. In my current 65 had I gotten the oceanic I wouldn't be wasting as much space with my tunze wavebox.

The return with the use of a splitter allows for a better distributed flow

The overflow is lower profile allowing for more options in aquascaping.

The euro brace aids against saltcreep.

I prefer the black silicone also.

The only downfall I have seen so far is impaired use of sea swirls.

I haven't decided yet if I'll use the LiterMeter with an additional pump and do 2 part or with 1 through kalk reactor.

I'm also considering using the OceanMotions Revolutions through the holes. I wonder how that would be for random flow...an OM squirt plumbed to 4 of the 180 degree revolutions.

skimmer?

Adding on to this thread, are there other skimmers that people like other than the Octopus? I'm looking for a skimmer for my 75, and I'm not sure what would be best.

And, what are the gate valve mod and meshmod?

Well if money is no option I can suggest quite a bit.

For instance for in tank flow i'm using 2 ecotech vortechs, I like them for the small footprint and wide spread w/ high flow. They are not to much for a 65g tank at least not a mixed sps/lps tank.

I would suggest a tunze wavebox. Not sure if it has anything to do with it but since i started using it my polyp extension has doubled and i get more enjoyment out of watching the corals sway.( i'm sure the waveboxes break tanks police will flame me for this sugggestion ). I would definitely go with the tech tank if you plan to use one.

Most important of all I would go with a tank size that is not going to leave you in the poor house trying to keep up with maintenace, research and come up with a guesstimate of monthly costs, then double it..........This advice will likely not have you breaking down a year from now like i see alot of others doing.

I like PM products do to craftsmanship, and I've always had a soft spot for etss skimmers, I may finally switch though to a reeflo however depending on how things go.

When shopping for a skimmer buy one rated for at least double your total tank volume, you won't regret it.

I have a Octopus 110 on my 30 cube, actually about 40 gallons of water with sump. It works great without any modding

Well in my case I wouldn't say I have money to burn. But I am trying to make wise choices. I'm also plunking down what I consider a large amount of money at once so I'm trying to spread that as far as I can.

So far on my shopping list are:
70g Tech Tank
Aquacontroller Jr w/serial and lab probes
LiterMeter dosing pump - still haven't decided if I'll use it with 1 or 2 pumps to start
100lbs of Marco Rock
2x Phosphate reactor - one for carbon and on for phosphate media
Some sort of protein skimmer - I'd like to stay under $300

What I already have:
29gal sump/refuge
4x39w HO T5 - SunlightSupply with individual reflectors
Eheim 1262 - return pump some flow will be diverted to provide fuge flow in sump
Velocity T4 - closed loop pump
OceansMotions Squirt - closed loop
2 moded maxijets - I don't think I'll need the extra flow but maybe

Things I'm considering:
OceansMotions Revolutions on the closed loop
Kalk Reactor - I still think $400+ is way too much for these things
Another 2x39w T5's - not sure how much space the euro brace will take up and if another 2 lamp would be effective
250w MH - might go this direction but would really like to give the T5's a shot

I'm planning this tank so that if/when I move I'll be able to take it with me but I will also have the ability to add on a basement sump in the future if I want. I need to do some work and rearranging of the basement before I do anything like that though in this apartment.

Back