New to hobby - 29g setup

Duff485

BRS Member
Hi,

I'm new to this board and the hobby. I've had a 29 gallon freshwater tank for about 10 years now and I've always wanted to make it saltwater, so I'm taking the plunge. I've read, read and read some more about FO, FOWLR and Reef tanks...but I think I've read TOO much. I've decided to head the FOWLR route, but I am getting setup for a reef tank eventually. I was hoping some of the experienced folks on this board could help me out with any opinions on my plan.

29 gallon tank
30 gallon power filter (removed the bio-wheel)
TAAM Rio Nano Skimmer [later on, plan to buy an additional one and remove power filter]
DIY stand and canopy (canopy has 110W custom lighting from ahsupply with 1 10,000k bulb and 1 blue acintic)
2 Koralia 425gph power heads
Stealth Pro heater

So that being said, I was looking into the LR and LS part of the tank. My plan is to buy 50lbs of Fiji LR from oceanproaquatics.com. However, this is the part I am getting confused on. When it comes here, do I rinse it in Saltwater, scrub everything off and stick it in the tank until it cures? Do I add live sand before or after it cures? I've read so many different ways, I'm unsure of the best approach. How long does this process usually take?

Once it cures and I get the live sand in there, any idea what cleaner crews are good to start off with? I don't know if I should add those first and then fish later...or at the same time. Thank you in advance! - this board has already been a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks,
Shawn

welcome to BRS and good luck lots of great guys here to help just take it slow sounds like your on the rithg track

I sounds like you have a good start so far.

As far as the rock, If you are looking to save a bit of money..... go with dry rock and add a few pieces of pest free LR to seed it with. I had to do it all over again this is what I would do, you will find the majority go with this method.

http://www.marcorocks.com/

Mark is a local guy and sponsor here on BRS, I have never met him before...... But I hear he is a great guy..... and has a great product. He is always on BRS giving great info.

Generally speaking expect about a 1 month of the system running without any livestock...... but by checking the water parameters will tell you when it is ready to start adding livestock....... very...... very ...... slowly.

Oh....... and Welcome to BRS!

Where are you from?

And what are your plans for your system once you get this up and running........ fish only w/ live rock (FOWLR), or Reef tank, If so what types of corals you plan on keeping? Because depending which direction you are going with your system, depends on types of equipment you need, particularly lighting, flow.

Thanks everyone! Doherty, I just updated my location, but I currently reside in Medford.

I'm glad you brought up marcorocks. I've noticed a ton of people swear by those rocks on this board. I may be misinformed, but if you use dry rock, will you have to wait until the whole thing is covered with Coralline before adding livestock? And regarding seeding the rock...how much pest free LR will I need to seed about ~40 lbs of marco rocks? (I have a 10g QT that will be setup at the same time). I ask this because I can get the 50lb box of Fiji LR shipped here for $150 - although the shipping will take 3-5 days and I'll probably have a lot of die-off.

And last but not least, I plan to go with a reef setup - very slowly (damn corals are expensive!). However, I'm trying to get the necessary equipment ahead of time (such as the 110W lights and 2 425gph powerheads). I read somewhere that I needed like 30x water movement for corals and at least 3W per gallon for lights...so that's what I bought for now. As far as which corals....whatever are easiest to keep at first! :D

I'm glad you brought up marcorocks. I've noticed a ton of people swear by those rocks on this board. I may be misinformed, but if you use dry rock, will you have to wait until the whole thing is covered with Coralline before adding livestock? And regarding seeding the rock...how much pest free LR will I need to seed about ~40 lbs of marco rocks? (I have a 10g QT that will be setup at the same time). I ask this because I can get the 50lb box of Fiji LR shipped here for $150 - although the shipping will take 3-5 days and I'll probably have a lot of die-off.

And last but not least, I plan to go with a reef setup - very slowly (damn corals are expensive!). However, I'm trying to get the necessary equipment ahead of time (such as the 110W lights and 2 425gph powerheads). I read somewhere that I needed like 30x water movement for corals and at least 3W per gallon for lights...so that's what I bought for now. As far as which corals....whatever are easiest to keep at first! :D

Welcome to the BRS..

Now you don't have to wait for all the rock to cure.. I used Marco rocks in my seahorse tank threw in a piece of live and a week later i put my seahorses in. They are doing great. I would say take it easy on the adding of livestock until all the rock is cured, but you can add a fish or two. Don't go nuts though.

Forget all those numbers. They are BS. People say you need MHs for SPS corals and there are many people in this club alone that run T5s

All you need to worry about is that your corals are happy. Those are not gospel just guidelines . You know? If you corals are not happy you may need a little more light. But moving corals up onto the rocks closer to the lights always does good if they are struggling.

Now are those lights PC's T5's or MH's? Just wondering

If i were you Id lose the skimmer and the filter you have a get a decent octopus skimmer..inexpensive and bulletproof. Ive had mine running nonstop for about 2 yrs now without ever cleaning it. stupid of me, but it works like a champ.

Your flow is more than enough for that tank to keep anything. I have 2 koralia 3's and keep some of everything.

You can sometimes get LS for free on here when people are breaking down their tanks.. Or just buy some from a store and get a cup of sand from someone on here to seed yours. I'm pretty sure i can say that no one here would mind you asking for a cup of sand.

Your pretty close to a great store in Boston too. B there is very very helpful. As well as our other sponsors.

PCs actually... but don't worry good lights... What color did you get?
10k?
14k?
20k?

Haha sorry, can you tell I'm new? They tricked me with their "T5 tubes".

I picked up a 10k bulb and a Deep blue actinic bulb

Welcome to the family!! You will be able to find great deals on corals in the FS forum. I dont like byuing "big" showe pc's, its a lot more fun to watch them grow after all thats what it's all about! Take your time and never rush anything!! When adding fish give careful thought to what you want to run out and get a damsel fish cuz you wont want it later. Also as you know FW fish becarefull of overstocking with a 29g and last but not least Remember nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby!!!!

John

Welcome to the club!

Once you get everything up and running shoot me a PM, I have some very easy corals I can start you out with so you get use to everything before investing in nice corals down the line.

I'm only in winchester by the way so if you ever have any questions or need any help do not hesitate to ask!

Eddie

Cool, great set up to get your feet wet. I started with a 55 with hob filters and VHOs. I'm showing my age;) The only recommendation I would make would be to get a CPR Bak-Pak skimmer instead of the TAAM Rio Nano Skimmer. You probably could pick up one used from a fellow reefer. +1 on the Marco Rock. I got a 25lb. box for $74 shipped and I think they're running a free shipping sale this weekend. Don't bother with "live sand", it's a waste of money. Just let the tank cycle itself with a few green chromis. Good luck!

Wow, look at all these responses! Thanks! I'm glad to see this is one heck of a good community. Hopefully someday soon I can return the favor and post some knowledge. By tomorrow I should have my DIY stand and canopy completed...I'll post some pics in the DIY forum later this week!

Eddie, I appreciate that offer, that will certainly help. I'm guessing it will be awhile before I end up needing it, but I will certainly shoot you a PM when the time comes.

Also, I think I managed to get one sweet deal on the rock and sand. I just ordered Marco Rocks 40lb sand/40lb key largo rock combo over the weekend. Only $109 and shipped free...can't go wrong!

When it comes time to seed the sand and rock, should I have my tank cycling with the dry rock/sand for awhile before adding live stuff? or just throw the live stuff in as soon as i get some water in the tank?

Here is a teaser of the stand and canopy I mentioned above. I need to put the cabinet doors on and install the tank background/lights...but it's almost done!

Attachments

• IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 65
Back