New to the game but very excited!

Franklin

Non-member
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and to the fishkeeping and especially saltwater. I just purchased a complete setup off of craigslist. I wanted to go bigger but I'll start with this. I purchased a 65G Acrylic with R24 refugium. The setup came with 100lbs of established live rock and 4 fish and 2 maybe 3 inches of sand. I finished setting up the tank last night and it looks cool. There were some things I am worried about but probably shouldn't be. For ex. in freshwater fish keeping, the water needs to be disturbed at the surface for the exchange of oxygen. Is this the same for saltwater? If so, how? There is also, i believe red algae or something in the middle of the sand visible in the front glass. My wife is yelling because she says it looks dirty. Should I move the sand around or leave it. Also, do sift through sand when I am changing water? It seems this tank is somewhat setup for reefs which I am interested in but I am also thinking of taking one of the live rocks out starting a fish only tank but I am unsure how to set one up with a regular tank. Do I need a tank setup with overflow? I know, I probably asking a bunch of stupid questions and I should do some research and I have. But there are so many different answers. Well glad to be part of a group who has personal experience.

Hi
Welcome to BRS

Dont sift though the sand when you are changing water, the sand wants to be left undisturbed.
did u get a skimmer with the set up? this is key for oxegenization... Red algae is likely cyno and others might have advice, I think this is pretty typical for new tanks.

not sure I answered all your questions, so please feel free to shoot them out again
I would start with 1 tank at a time though and see how that goes
Frank

sounds like u have issues with new tank set up...cyno etc....ALright...to answer a few ques....I ran a 125 gal salt water fish only for over a decade before going to a full blown reef.....No need to put airstones in the tank....It actually bothers the fish cause it gets caught on their slimecoat...Actually corals get pissed with the tiny bubbles too.... skimmer is the way to elevate ur oxygen redox potential!! One more question.....what type of water did you put in the tank? filtered & if so How? ro/di water is key....chloramine removal cans should be used if ur using city water supply...If ur using well water...It is key to get the proper cans to remove the solids that r in access in your supply water... Pm me I can get i nto it a little deeper...rather than make a novel here...

BTW....

Welcome...

Thanks for the welcome. a protein skimmer is the only thing the setup didn't come with because the guy sold it already. I am looking to purchase one right away. For now I have the return in the tank pointed upwards so the water splashes down to create surface distortion or to break surface tension. What is CYNO? Does it have to do with cycling the setup. I checked salt/water levels, PH, nitrates and everything is fine. I used water conditioner for well water, heated it up used a pump to circulate in 30 gallon mixing container and used and air pump and air stone while mixing in the salt. Everything seems to be working fine. I am more interested in getting the refugium going. I added 2" of sand because the old owner didn't have any. There was just some live rock that was there before. I think the DT is okay for now, I want the refugium to help supply nutritious food to the display tank but wouldn't the sump destroy most that goes through it. I am doing tons of research but haven't found anyone who explains that part. I am sorry, I'll start rambling. Just so much to learn and so excited and I want to do everything right to the best of my ability.

Thanks,

thats ur problem....U need to filter the water u use in the tank..a special ro/di with a special cart for well water which is heavy in metals...

Back