newbe looking for advice

Jahn

Non-member
I have a 46 bowfront with 2x96w power compact lighting, actinic and 10K.
It's been running about a year and seems relatively stable with 3 pecula clowns and a coral beaty. I have some green star polyps, brown buttons, and a varient of a toadstool that are doing well. RobbiT gave me 2 frags at the taunton meeting, an m. digita and an oronge m capricornus. Both seem to be doing well ( at least I can see the polyps on the m digita).
I'm getting the bug and am interested in trying more frags, but after reading about individual setups, wonder if the lighting is strong enough to do so?
Ideas/suggestions?

I would guess that many SPS would survive, but not grow very well with that lighting. You could probably do well with a number of other types of corals though, such as zoanthids and leathers. You could certainly add color and variety to your tank without going the SPS route if you wanted.

Nate

Montipora and softies would be great. Ricordia, LPS also. Plenty of light for these critters.

An all LPS tank would be awesome.

For those folks who don't know the lingo yet, we frequently abbreviate Large Polyp Stony corals as LPS. Examples of LPS corals are Anchor, Frogspawn, Torch, Bubble... Am I missing any?

lookup macro hqi setup...1 150w hqi mh and 2 30w actinics in a very nice hood...I used to have it on my 46 and was perfect...

Back