Newbie In wall setup

NanoReefer said:
You can always put floor jacks in the basement to keep the floor from moving upstairs.

Actually I don't have a basement. My first floor is a slab. I considers putting in a support, but it would look really out of place having a couple of supports basically sitting in what will be eventually a completely finished room.

Thanks for the ideas though keep 'em coming.

If you've got the plans already made for the downstairs room, Maybe you could put in some jolly posts (is that what those things are called) where the fish-room wall will be before you install your starter tank upstairs. That way you'd have added rigidity in the floor, and the supports would be hidden by the final construction. That said, my floors bounce a bit if you really try, but my tank (sitting in a corner) doesn't move at all. All that weight can be sort of stabilizing!

NateHanson said:
If you've got the plans already made for the downstairs room, Maybe you could put in some jolly posts (is that what those things are called) where the fish-room wall will be before you install your starter tank upstairs. That way you'd have added rigidity in the floor, and the supports would be hidden by the final construction. That said, my floors bounce a bit if you really try, but my tank (sitting in a corner) doesn't move at all. All that weight can be sort of stabilizing!

Unfortunately the floorplan doesn't line up...unless I put the upstairs tank on my bar. We'll plan for an exterior wall perpendicular to the joists and we should be OK.

Right now I'm looking somewhere between a 54 gallon up to a max of a 90 gallon. And I'm leaning towards FOWLR. We're gonna sit down and decide how we want to stock the system and make sure we get something of an appropriate size.

You know this change of my plans might save me enough cash this year to get one of those new Mustang Convertibles ;)

Back