Newbie lessons

UMan101

Non-member
There's no way I would be where I am with my tank without the BRS forum. I learn pretty much everything from here so I'm hoping I can help some other noobs as well. A couple lessons I've learned in my young experience:

Have a backup power source/backup battery operated powerheads:

Last night there was a rain storm (nothing too crazy) yet somehow we lost power here in Quincy. I never expected something like this until maybe winter. I freaked out and started reading through posts on how to keep everything alive. Read a post saying no water flow will lead to no oxygen. So I pretty much stood by my tank manually stirring the water to create some type of flow. Fortunately, the outage didn't last too long and 1.5 hours later the power returned. But this was a great wakeup call for me. A small investment in a backup power source could save any of us from disaster. It's must have in my opinion

A second heater:

When starting my tank I was fortunate enough to have someone on BRS recommend buying 2 heaters rather than 1. At the time I didn't think much of it and kinda just followed blindly as my knowledge was quite limited. Little did I know I would have the glass break on one of my heaters while cleaning. Had I not had 2, I would have spent the entire night without a heater in my tank (I was cleaning at 11pm). Long story short, 2 heaters is also another must

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Both great points! And best learned while you are just getting into the hobby, so consider user lucky there! ☺

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Yup. Redundancy is usually a good thing in this hobby. ;)
Depending on how big the tank is, a UPS might be a good investment. Just plug your powerheads into that.

Also, don't discount the value of a battery powered air pump. Lost power for over 1 1/2 days due to the blizzard two years ago. I covered the tank in blankets and ran the air pump and did not experience any loss.

Great info for those new to the hobby. Thanks for posting. Hope you got rid over those glass heaters and switched over to titanium.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Back