Newbie Questions

treed3124

Non-member
I posted this in the wrong forum so someone please remove my other post..

Hi all,

My LFS told me to join here as its a great site for information. I just want to ask a few questions see if im on the right path. I have run fresh water tanks all my life until about 2 months ago, i changed me 29G to a salt tank, loved it did really well with 4 fish, then went and got a 55G setup. So heres my setup and questions

55G Tank
Marineland 350 fliter
Marineland 1140 Power head (170GPH)
Marineland stealth heater (250 watt)
T5 Lighting high output with blue leds
(the Marineland stuff was on sale and I have used it int he past for fresh water it was great hopefully i didnt make a mistake here getting this stuff)

So far for fish i have:
Coral Beauty
Clown fish
foxface
yellow tail blue Tang
yellow Damsel (he was my first fish for cycleing, im bringing him back to LFS hes getting to territoral)
1 cleaner shrimp
2 snails
2 hermit crabs
I have an aneonme as well I picked up

I have about 30-35lbs of live rock

For coral I have:
1 LR with star polyps (doinrg really well)

So my questions:

the tank is doing really well after a month, no issues at all the fish are happy the coral is doing well, water tests are coming back great...

Do I have enough water turn over with the filter and the powerhead?

Can anyone recommend what my next fish should be? (I saw a dwarf angel i loved recently)

I was told recently in a month to add a protien skimmer, anyone recommend which brand would work well?

id like to add to my "clean up" crew as well, any thoguhts there?I saw a coral-band shrimp that was nice didnt know if he was a good fit

What Coral should I add next?

Hopefully I have made the right choices, this is way more fun than freshwater, im having a blast even my girlfriend who was against a bigger tank (finally caved when she saw a tang and the guy at the LFS said ours was too small)

I have been going slow adding things in very slow making sure the tank is perfect each time.

Thanks for your help!

I would not get anymore fish. Your foxface and tang will likely get too big for your current tank so adding more fish will just make it worse IMO.

yea you should slow down ur going pretty fast. you should also get a sump and a good skimmer. its always better to over filter than under filter. i would get a skimmer rated for at least a 100g tank and get about 100 lbs of live rock in your tank

Ditch the filter and get a good skimmer and also your foxface and tang will outgrow a 55g. Def slow down where you are and sort out what you already have setup. Its always easy to jump quick in this trade, but remember, great things don't always happen overnight. Sometimes you gotta work very slowly.

In fact IMO the slower you build your tank and the more advice you get on it, the more stable it will be in the long run. I went from freshwater in April to a full blown sucessful mixed reef right now but believe me, it was a very slow process with intense research every step of the way.

Never the less, welcome to BRS! And we'll all be happy to help you get your tank nice and situated!

Update on my tank:

I slowed way down like you all suggested. I have not added any fish to the tank but RO water and a little more live rock. I will be adding a skimmer soon. I have added the sals (24 turbos) and hermits (24) to the tank, I also added 2 emerald crabs to help clean up as well. The tank is doing well no issues at all water is within paramaters (thanks to Jays for checking it many times for me) I wont be adding anything more for a while and keep testing the water and doing all my water changes. But so far so good coral is doing better than ever(i think its actually growing but im not sure) Ill post some pics soon!

Thank you all for your help and slowing me down!

Back